• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydronord constant pressure system

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
On our graders we have bought a Hydronord constant pressure system.
The system is made by a small firm in Nothern Sweden, Father&Son i have heard.
The firm has been contacted på Cat, they want to buy them up and offer the system as a add on for cat graders.

The product is a electro hydraulic valveblock that constantly monitor the pressure in your main sylinders. Monitors many times pr second.

Inside the cab you get a controll panel that have a number of buttons, se picture.
Her you can put in a digital number for the pressure you want. Between -50 and +50 (what i recall; have used from -20 to +30)
The number is a number and has nothing to do with the real pressure. I have found that -16 is the float/lift value on my graders. Lower means it lifts, higher means pressure.
On the controll there is increase(øke), decrease(minske) and a button for automatic/manuall. There is also a button for lift(løft).(Norwegian class here now) It also has a inbuilt floatfunction where you press two buttons.

The picture here is taken when shut off, thats way there is no numbers in it.
In the grader video you can se the digits.
When in manual, the grader works as normal, in auto the blade goes down and it ceeps a constant pressure.(what you have added)
If you want to grade a road, you pitch the blade after how aggressive you want the cut, and adjust the pressure to what you want.
And you can have float on one side and pressure on the other.
If you want to make adjustments you can owerride with the controls, if you wants to lift for some seconds you lift that side and lets go. Then it goes back to the preset value. Same goes if you want to add pressure for a reason.(but be carefull with the bits on asphalt;) )

So Way use it?
Well if you mount carbide bits for winter maintenance, it is a must.:cool:
I have seen some pictures of them here on the forum, so it is sold in the states also.
Those round bits is harder than ice but wears out fast on asphalt, and makes nice tracks too.:D
If you dont watch out you will wear them out in a minute, if you go through the ice and hits asphalt with pressure on the blade.

So this system is made in a way that you never will put to much pressure on the bits.(as long as you ceep pressure under the limit)
A set of carbide boards will last the whole winter.(with this system) The serrated ones may last a week.

When grading ice over a speedbump, the system will cut the equal amount all the way over.(as an example)
A system with a acumulator will cut more on the top than on the bottom, because the pressure increases when the nitrogen gets compressed.
And you can get bounsing on those systems.

Outside i got a box on the left side with the hydraulic hoses and a cable to the inside. You can see it on the side of the main frame.:)

Attachments

• Hydronord.JPG
    Hydronord.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 948
  • hydronord2.JPG
    hydronord2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 982

Grader4me

Wow! Talk about innovation! So...You have the pressure set so that you are taking a good cut on a hard road. You strike a soft spot as you mentioned in the other post...any chance of making nose prints in the windshield?:eek:

When you have pressure on the moldboard and you want to lift without turning off the system, does it act the same as when the float is on and you try to lift? What I mean will the blade only come up so high and the second you let go of the levers it goes back down again

I agree about the carbide tips...they make very nice tracks on asphalt and chipseal surfaces

How much does this cost...if you don't mind me asking.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well its made for road maintenance, its useless on laying out masses.:)
As i said, primarly for wintermaintenance on ice and asphalt.

You dont make any prints in the window, more than without the system.
If you lean the blade backwards and finds solid rock, something will give way.:eek:
The positive with this system is that the system monitors the pressure and lets go if you find solid rock. In a millisecond.:eek:

And the soft spot wasnt a spot, but a place where somebody had laid out a load of gravel on the road. (and i wasn't paying enough attention:rolleyes: )

If you lifts the blade it moves down again. If i lift like 3/4 it goes up, lift then 1/2 it stays high. Let the lever go and it drops.
Same with pressure, i put ekstra pressure, grades extra, lets go and its back to the preset pressure.

For the price, i don't know, i just said i want it. Logistic guys pay's the check.
And it's in the whole package for the grader.(the price is not detail specified for us in the offer)

Deas Plant

Hydronord.

Hi, MKTEF.
That sounds like a very useful system for what you are using it for in the ice and snow. It also sounds as if it may have an application in shoulder maintenance or in cleaning loose materials off a harder existing surface as well.

And if the manufacturers have got Cat sniffing around, there is likely to be bulk bucks involved there too.

Thanks for the information and photos.

We also have the Hydronord system on a Volvo G740B and it is very useful in the winter. When float is not enough you just increase the numbers and it cuts harder...

The lift button is also nice, you have one hand free while lifting the blade and it works also when you don`t use the rest of the system.

Grader4me

We also have the Hydronord system on a Volvo G740B and it is very useful in the winter. When float is not enough you just increase the numbers and it cuts harder...

The lift button is also nice, you have one hand free while lifting the blade and it works also when you don`t use the rest of the system.

Welcome to HEF! I have some questions for you and MKTEF. During winter operations we use the float option alot for plowing on hard/frozen surfaces. I don't use float when cutting/scarfiying ice for a couple of reasons..number one reason is that obviously you couldn't get a very good cut and the second reason is if I strke a "soft spot" and this is possible on gravel roads. When in the float position(plowing snow) I have experienced hitting one of these soft spots and you have no control because everything happens so fast. Lucky the moldboard has jumped out of these places so to speak as there was no pressure on it.

Okay my questions....What happens is you are cutting ice and have the numbers increased, so that there is a lot of pressure on your blade and you hit a soft spot? Would you have time to deactivate the float system and lift before you got in a mess? Would you be able to lift while it was still in the float mode if there was a lot of pressure on the blade?

When I am cutting ice I like to have control of the moldboard.

Thank you !

I use to have the finger on the lift button(marked fast lift) and just press it when hitting a soft spot and it lifts very fast (full flow) and deactivates the system. Then i use the standard controls until the ground is solid again and then just press the activate button and it goes back to the preassure i had...

Same procedure if the wheels starts spinning when plowing upphill. When the wheels have traction again just reactivate the system and go on..:cool:

Compared with plowing in float you can use much higher speed without bouncing with this system;)

It is a very nice system and very easy to use !

Grader4me

Thanks for your reply Cat 920. It sounds like an awesome system. Please send me one ASAP :yup :thumbsup As I have said many times before...the technology nowadays is absolutely amazing. Thanks again for the information and feel free to share your experiences and knowledge with the rest of us.