• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I-Beam span rating?

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
My father-in-law and myself have been building a new shop. He would like to put a I-beam across the center of the ceiling to mount a trolley and chain fall. The building was designed with this in mind. When we poured the footings we made them a little wide at that spot so we could put post's upright to help support the beam. We also matched up two trusses right above where the beam will be mounted. So the beam will be held up on the outside's and from above by the truss's

My question is he wants the beam to hold 2,000 LBS in the center and it will be 25 FT wide. How big of a beam do we need?

I will get some pictures tomorrow.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I could size it for you but there is one big problem. If somebody decides to over load it at some time and down it comes I don't want to be in the middle of it, and sooner or later somebody will do it.

norite

I recommend you consult with a professional engineer and have him calculate it for you. I don't think anyone qualified would want to do this for you here due to liability reasons and their expectation of being paid for their service. Also if some annonymous person did this for you here, what assurance would you have that they are correct?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
That is me. Engineer here. Liability is why I stay away from it. My engineering is limited to what I do on my own jobs or for myself.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
EGS,

Are you putting a bought lift on it? If you are, I would think that maybe they would have a recommendation for it.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
A good friend of mine is in the local elevator union. He has a table that gives the span ratings for I-beam lengths. I will post it on here when it stops snowing and I get more time.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
EGS,

Are you putting a bought lift on it? If you are, I would think that maybe they would have a recommendation for it.

We are putting a trolley on it that I got from a friend of mine. It is rated for 10 ton. It is real old, older even then ATCO.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It is real old, older even then ATCO.:D

The real question is: "Is it older than Grandpa...":D

We know it's not older than digger, they didn't make much of anything before he was born.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

grandpa

We know it's not older than digger, they didn't make much of anything before he was born.:rolleyes:

Looks like i'm gonna have to conjure up a snow storm fro Costa Rica..... Now that would be some feat....hmmmmmmm

Tiny

It Is not older than Grandpa...... Grandpa gave God the recipe for dirt !!

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Alright here now!!!! Respect for your elders you darn kids. I don't know how old Grandpa is here but I bet he is not that far ahead of me!!!

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Here is what we came up with.

I think it turned out fairly well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,251

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks good EGS, that's a fine shop.:thumbsup

What size beam did you end up going with?

grandpa

Gentleman, be nice to me or I will have CM 1995 put some kinda voodoo on you!!!! Bwah ha hhahha if he could break away from the sand beaches of Costa Rica to do so work........ha ha.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Looks good EGS, that's a fine shop.:thumbsup

What size beam did you end up going with?

It is a 12" beam, it should be good for 2,000lb. in the center.

We used it a couple of times and it seems pretty stout.

The shop is 36'x36' with 18' side walls. The only thing left to do is hang the steel on the ceiling. I think he might have them spray a few more inches of foam insulation in the rafters.