• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I got a hot berry through the eardrum, how long before it heals?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Anyone who has spent their life welding has had lava balls land in every sensitive never region of their body including the ears. And with some that are tolerable, which in fact none are, one simply let's out an audible ARRGGGGG under the hood because you don't want to stop the bead. The ear, never had one go all the way to the ear drum, have had plenty of "sizzle". But I do wear a welders cap, you know, the ones that have a pattern like your grandmothers Victorian parlor chair, that partially covers the ears, and yeah, for sure covers the ever decreasing hair on my head. Whenever I weld the welders cap goes on. But the one I really despise is grinding sparks. Damn things are like a bouncing pinball moving at the speed of light. Too many times in my life I've had a spark stuck to an eyeball, even while wearing a face shield and safety glasses at the same time. Just damn I hate it when that happens!

skyking1

I was torching a wedge from a piece of 1" plate for a wood splitter, and had a berry find a hole in otherwise really good jeans, just below my knee on the back of my calf. That big old berry rolled down my calf and peeled up a stripe. Wooowch! That was 43 years ago and I can still smell that one :D

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A good thing to keep in the shop for moderate burns is pure Lavender oil essence. It's readily available and cheap, and it is just the greatest thing out for workshop burns.
Forget about manufactured burn creams - when you incur a burn, grab that Lavender oil bottle, and slosh the stuff onto the burnt area, and keep it wet with an oil coating.
The pain will start to subside in about 15-20 mins, and within hours, you won't even notice the pain level. The burn will usually heal without blistering, and amazingly fast.
Of course, this advice is only for mild burns. If you get bad 2nd or 3rd degree burns and big areas of skin have bubbled or are peeling off, douse it with cold water and get yourself some major medical attention.
Naturally, you wouldn't use Lavender oil essence in an area such as your ear canal or eardrum, either.

Welder Dave

Minor burns like from holding a nozzle flush on the inside of a tank with your bare thumb and then tacking it in place, they make a burn spray that basically freezes your leather like skin. It works really well. Feels like a lightning bolt going through your thumb when it happens. 2nd and 3rd degree burns the coldest water you can find for 20 minutes or longer. If the burn is over a large portion of your body jump in a cold shower if you can. Never put put butter or margarine or anything but cold water on burns that break the skin. Get medical treatment as soon as possible. They have special burn gel and burn specific bandages.