• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I lost my cool

Old Doug

The dumpster at work was stacked with bags 2 feet or more over the top then some one dumped a 55 gallon drum of lose papers on top of that. Its setting out side on the top of a hill were its very windy. This isnt the first time this person has done this or been told about it I am not proud of what i said to the person that did this.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Don't loose sleep over Old Doug. I uped a person one time. They said I was intimidating them. My reply was " f**king good, you're listening then". Never had a problem after that.:D

I'm the Supervisor of the maintenance department for a local municipality. One morning one of my employees backed into a fence and did $2000 worth of damage to it. I happened to be checking a job in progress about 20 minutes after it happened and saw it. I waited 24 hours for the employee to report it. He didn't. I confronted him with the Shop Steward the next day and he kept making excuses on why he didn't tell me. I sent him away and discussed with the Shop Steward what the penalty should be.

I went to tell the employee on the decision and he started with the excuses again and said I was blowing it way out of proportion. I lost it too, told him to shut the F up and listen to what I had to say. He immediately said he felt intimidated. I was stunned and said "WHAT????" He replied he felt threatened. "Dude, I haven't said anything to you that is remotely threatening"

A few hours later I was called into H/R and reprimanded. H/R was initiated just a few months ago and I think I was her first case. Quite an introduction to the H/R rep, I learned that I've been managing personnel all wrong for all these years.... o_O

Old Doug

I was lucky i all most poked him with my finger when i told him who would clean up this mess. If my job had a H/R i would be on vacation.

dirty4fun

I try to always be fair, and it takes a lot to get me upset. Over they years I have had a few people get under my skin. After numerous times of telling the same person not to do the same thing, I sent her outside. Not to come back inside all day. After a couple hours of picking up things and cleaning she started back in the house. I met her just inside the door, and calmly sent her back outside. Told her that I could have her on a plane back home if she didn't like it. You can't do that, as I pulled my phone out to call to get her a ticket she decided that maybe she would listen.
It is very tough to not loose control when you are working with stupid people with no common sense.

Old Doug

I try to always be fair, and it takes a lot to get me upset. Over they years I have had a few people get under my skin. After numerous times of telling the same person not to do the same thing, I sent her outside. Not to come back inside all day. After a couple hours of picking up things and cleaning she started back in the house. I met her just inside the door, and calmly sent her back outside. Told her that I could have her on a plane back home if she didn't like it. You can't do that, as I pulled my phone out to call to get her a ticket she decided that maybe she would listen.
It is very tough to not loose control when you are working with stupid people with no common sense.
Did this work in the long run it sounds like she was more than a employee? If some thought was given when some one wasI hired like in my case and some one would have held his hand for a few weeks to make sure he understood what was what about the dumpster then if he still didnt get it let him go.

Truck Shop

A company that hires an HR person is direct evidence that they don't know how to handle their employees

Your average HR person is just an enabler that helps the whiner continue his life of making others pay for their unjust life that they themselves built.

HR Enabler-is no different than one who gives a bottle to a alcoholic.

Welder Dave

Some HR is really good and basically acts like a union steward to treat the employee fairly. Problem is most HR suck up to the company.

Truck Shop

One thing a person has to remember, 99% of people/workers carry a I-phone. If said lazy/worthless person is trying to push buttons you have a 50% chance they will have their cell phone
on video recording the whole scene with video and audio. If your videoed even slightly making any snide remarks or any kind of in their space gestures. It's probably not going to play well
for you.

Everyone has embraced it and now get to live with it-----------Welcome to the hand held electronic surveillance age. America wanted it and we got it--you can't even take a crap without
someone catching it on a video-entering and leaving.

Flat Thunder Channel

I have listened to people complain about working at my place of employment in the past. I might listen once to understand their thoughts / grievances. However, once they become a repeat offender I just tell them to find another job if they dislike it so much. Its an employ 'at will state', we can hire you and fire you at will. That being said, their is the door feel free to exit whenever you like.

Those repeat offenders even boycotted a free pizza party provided by the owner once. What is this 'kinde-garten'?

I often wonder how we have become so sissyfied as a society. The dumpster over loader needs to be responsible for cleaning up his mess. The fence destroyer needs to be responsible for repairing the damage. I honestly think he needs to be fired for poor character/morals. But be sure to say it in a nice way....