• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I lost my cool

Tugger2

I no longer have employees. The rules around severance pay here make me shiver and lose sleep at night.Why should you give some guy that just cost you a bunch of a cash a bag full of your hard earned savings?? Lucky foir them you cant give them a bill! I hire through other companies i work with and pay their charge out rate when i need help, i get good guys as needed we do jobs and go our separate ways at the end ,just not cheap as hiring under your own roof (maybe ?).As John C said hire slowly and fire hard . The new broom always sweeps clean ,sometimes for quite a while. Once they F**ck up and wreck my stuff or burn up my cash i see red real fast and the firing is hard. I know now this isnt good in todays world of instant recording so i guess ill play it this way until freedom 85.Working in the bush in my younger years made my HR skills a bit blunt.

Truck Shop

My post #18-That happened to a parts man I dealt with-he ended up losing his job. Was told he needed anger management. I ended up loosing a good parts man to call.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
I was a 1st line salaried manager for SW Bell and then AT&T. I had various installation and repair crews, anywhere from 8 to 12 people in two different cities at two different times in my career. Every crew I supervised always had one person that took up 90% of my time. If they moved on, someone else stepped up in their place. They were CWA union which I had absolutely no issue with, I respected the guys (and I had one girl in one of my crews) but I did expect a good day's work in a quality manner according to published specs. I was no office jockey since I had done that job in the USAF and then as an hourly guy.

My manager was always after me to suspend one of my guys but it was an absolute last resort for me. It was my job to train, encourage and provide the tools to succeed, however some never respond and I sent one guy home for two or three days.

I had one tech that was such a customer relations disaster I kept him in the shop refurbing equipment. Thankfully I found a staff job, not having direct reports was wonderful, a 10 or 12 hour work day dropped to 8 hours.

Truck Shop

I have one approach I use daily in the shop--mainly with drivers. {no driver gets preferential treatment} everyone gets the same service and necessary work performed.
It takes the wind out of their sales, stops arguing, flare ups and anybody flaunting that they got extras at the dock amongst other drivers. Most drivers don't like that I
handle it that way but they never gripe that poor work was done, totally the opposite. What a driver will receive instead from the shop is {Good job-Thanks for keeping
an eye on that} when they deserve it, which can cut B.S. problems with drivers by 80%.

Old Doug

I havent seen this guy back at work but he is part time. If he is gone i wish they would replace him because his job is needed. There has been 4 people that did this job but none of them wanted to work they just wanted a check.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
132332925_217492469847168_2431176909884142081_n.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
One thing a person has to remember, 99% of people/workers carry a I-phone. If said lazy/worthless person is trying to push buttons you have a 50% chance they will have their cell phone
on video recording the whole scene with video and audio. If your videoed even slightly making any snide remarks or any kind of in their space gestures. It's probably not going to play well
for you.

Everyone has embraced it and now get to live with it-----------Welcome to the hand held electronic surveillance age. America wanted it and we got it--you can't even take a crap without
someone catching it on a video-entering and leaving.
Destroy that phone and make it disappear and all problems associated with it, only thing left is accusations without proof. Not like they are recording to some server anywhere and it doesn't save till after it's stopped. Don't worry if they are weak enough to hide behind a phone they aren't strong enough to stop you.
Been there done that...

Truck Shop

That is still a altercation at work place spud. Plus if you live in a small town you will more that likely get labeled a hot head, making it tough to find employment elsewhere. Everybody has a boiling point, the
most amiable person just has to have the right button pushed on the right day or moment to hit the
flash point. People who think they are above it all and never lose their cool are fooling themselves,
just the right circumstances and they will boil over like a hot pan on a stove.

Last edited:

Randy88

There's always an A hole at ever workplace and in every neighborhood, if you don't know who it is, its probably you. I was told this 40 years ago and I still think its true today.

As for losing your cool, not sure I'd worry too much about it, after all your only human, if you get in trouble over it, I'd explain your side of it, if it causes you issues, I'd have to think hard if this is a company you really want to work for or if its time to move on.

Doubt it helped at all, but there is no such thing as a perfect job that lasts forever, that goes for if your an employee, employer or doing work for someone else, everything has issues of some sort.

Raildudes dad

I am most fortunate. I really enjoy what I do. I look forward to going to work most everyday - turned 70 on July 3rd:) - just don't like the alarm clock at 6AM LOL. I used to ride my bike to the freeway construction going on about a mile from our house growing up as a kid in the early 60's . I started year 48 with the local county highway department back on June 27th. I tell folks I've never had a job since I'm getting paid to supervise road and bridge construction 50 years later. :) :)
I've lost my cool a couple times with out any consequences :). So far a sincere apology has "fixed" my lack of verbal control. It's much easier to control the older i get :) I do advise my fellow employees if there's something that really bothers you so you don't look forward to coming to work, you need to move on. If there's something you can't deal with, and it's something "we" can't change, life is too short to stay here. We are very fortunate that we have a boss that's too nice. He lets some things slide that he shouldn't..... but...........

Old Doug

Nothing has been said and i dont think he has been back to work. The boss was ask before why did he keep him around and he said that he didnt want to make his relatives mad and lose there business. I dont like my job but i dont have a plan for what to do i dont owe anything so i could make it with out a steedy income.