• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I would love to see a video on greasing a backhoe.

emmett518

I would love to see a video on someone greasing a backhoe. I'm not sure I am doing it correctly, or what is the best way to clean up the residue.

MG84

I’ll clean any fittings with dirt on them before starting, usually use a blue paper shop towel. If recessed pin fittings have dirt packed in them I’ll find a twig or stick sized right to dig it out. Then I just pump grease in each fitting until some starts to push out the joint. Do EVERY loader and backhoe pivot every 8-10hrs. Some things like axle pivots or control pivots may only need it every 50-100hrs or more, check the manual or service chart. I don’t bother with cleanup unless the grease buildup gets excessive, my machines may look like a mess but by god they are well greased lol.

Vetech63

There is only residue when you have over greased. Grease being pushed outside of a joint is just wasted.

Tinkerer

Residue ??
Fresh grease escaping the nozzle and zerk connection ?
Or the used grease that comes out of the joint ?
If it is the zerk and nozzle connection it could be either not holding the nozzle straight to the zerk.
A worn or damaged zerk.
A worn out or damaged nozzle.
A cheap a## Chinese nozzle.
Or any combination of the above.
Graco brand nozzles are my favorite.

cfherrman

If it's a sealed joint pushing grease out is bad, if it's not pushing grease out is very good otherwise you might be not using enough grease, I rather have wasted $0.50 of grease then have to replace $10,000 of bearings.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I would love to see a video on someone greasing a backhoe. I'm not sure I am doing it correctly, or what is the best way to clean up the residue.
I think it is a misnomer to call it greasing. I call it cleaning as that is 75% of the job. VTech63 says only grease to clean if I use too much. I feel I'm being conservative as to volume, but each time I remove the latching nozzle a gob squirts out of it. Each greasing begins with cleaning each fitting. Must be 50 fittings on my hoe. I use a 5/16" 6 flat screwdriver with a paper towel folded a few layers to muck the grease out of the recessed fittings. Any old arrangement with the paper towel works fine for exposed fittings. I don't want to push the grit attracted by the grease into the fitting.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We grease until the old grease and dirt is comes out. Wasting grease probably, making sure the pin is lubricated absolutely.

Works for us as our 2011 321DL with over 8K hours is still on the original pins and bushings on the stick.

Over greasing only costs a little money and makes a mess. Under greasing costs lots of money with no mess however the noise is nerve wracking.

Shimmy1

We grease until the old grease and dirt is comes out. Wasting grease probably, making sure the pin is lubricated absolutely.

Works for us as our 2011 321DL with over 8K hours is still on the original pins and bushings on the stick.
Exactly how I do it. I *may* actually waste an ounce every greasing. Maybe.

On a 6 month season, 3 machines per day (max), 450 grease jobs, that roughly computes to about 30 tubes of grease. At $4.50 per tube, I don't think that $150 is going to break me, and I absolutely know I'm greasing enough.

2014 CX210C with 5300 hours, and you cannot see wear in the bucket or stick pins.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I grease until it just starts to flow out. With u-joints I like to see grease starting to come out all 4 caps.

Worked with a guy one time who tried to tell me you keep pumping grease until only fresh grease comes out. Guy would use a full tube to grease like 3 u-joints and then it'd get slung out all over the truck as soon as it moved.