• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IHI 55J2

John V

Hey all,

Does anyone have any info on these machines? Anyone know where I can find or buy a service manual? I believe it is a 1998, serial plate says 55J2. Local landscaping company is selling it with a dead engine, believe it is an Isuzu 4JA1. Anyone know of a source on these?

Thanks,
John

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I think rebuild kits are pretty common for those little engines. I think thats similar to what my old 960 Mustang skidsteer has in it. I've always kinda wanted to rebuild one. WHats wrong with it?

John V

Previous owner said it overheated and stopped running. So not really sure how catastrophic the damage is. A mechanic was taking a look at it awhile back, and seems to have run off with the head. Cylinders full of rain water now. Would it still be rebuildable since the they're sleeved? I'm also quite interested in a rebuild project, esp since he'd take $5k for a (supposedly) otherwise running excavator.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 55J is a really strong excavator. If your into it for 5K plus a rebuild and all else works and is in decent shape, that would be worth the investment.

John V

Anyone else on here own a 55J or 55J2 and have a service manual they can share with me? Willing to pay. CES in Ky gave me a pdf of a service manual and over half of the sections are missing.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Anyone else on here own a 55J or 55J2 and have a service manual they can share with me? Willing to pay. CES in Ky gave me a pdf of a service manual and over half of the sections are missing.
Did you tell them to send you the other half?

John V

Heh, not like it has pages 1-150 and missing 151-300. Random pages and sections are missing. They told me this PDF is all they have.

loblollyhill

loblollyhill

John V

Yessir, already have both of those. Still praying one day a full paper copy of the service manual shows up, or someone comes by that can make me a copy.