• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Impact's "Things Done at Work"

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I like Tiny's thread so much, thought I'd start my own. I don't think mine will be as entertaining, but, we do get into some sticky jobs occassionally.

These first photos were from a one day rental job a few weeks ago. This is a survival shelter going in a guy's back yard. I didn't get a chance to look inside, but, it has a blast door, etc. It was rainy and wet the day this happened. His poor yard got ripped to pieces.

Attachments

• 2012-06-11_14-21-51_252.jpg
    2012-06-11_14-21-51_252.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 3,405
  • 2012-06-11_14-23-07_937.jpg
    2012-06-11_14-23-07_937.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 2012-06-11_14-25-11_886.jpg
    2012-06-11_14-25-11_886.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 3,395

zeeklu

Thats pretty cool.Is it a one piece prefab ,buried or above ground? Those trees are a pain to keep out of the wires on the side of the boom. Nice pictures. Chris

Impact

Occupation
Owner
It's buried in the ground. Just the acess hole door part came to ground level. Best I remember it weighed 28,000 pounds.

Tiny

Haven't had to do one of those . But I believe more people may be doing this ;). 28,000 is pretty hefty for a storm shelter

Impact

Occupation
Owner
This guy is like a survialist. House full of guns etc. Preparing for the apocolypse. Radiactive proof etc. Myself, if we get bombed with a nuke, I hope and pray I don't survive.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I'm asuming you mean the "bottom" line? Tiny, truthfully, I'm not sure. I'm going to withhold judgement on that for another year or so. I'm getting my foot in the door with more people just because I have a bigger crane, so that's a plus. The problem I see with the 100T is....It's as hard to move as a 200T. Counterweight trailer..removing stacking counterweights, reeving 8 parts of line..It's a 2 man crane, no doubt. Sometimes I think, either trade ot for a 200T or a 60T.

Tiny

I'd give it some time , company did the same with a couple of machines . It worked out pretty good but it was about a year before everyone (Customers) were up to speed

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Last week we set three anhydrous tanks for a local grain company. The heaviest one weighed 75,000 pounds. to date, I suppose that's the heaviest lift we've made yet. Went off like clockwork.

Attachments

• PROPANE TANK 1.jpg
    PROPANE TANK 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,771
  • PROPANE TANK 2.jpg
    PROPANE TANK 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,769
  • PROPANE TANK 3.jpg
    PROPANE TANK 3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,766

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
Last week we set three anhydrous tanks for a local grain company. The heaviest one weighed 75,000 pounds. to date, I suppose that's the heaviest lift we've made yet. Went off like clockwork.
very nice pictures impact. just a thought, when setting up the A2B switch it is preferred to have it on the static line (dead end), or on one of the lines that is more in line with where the switch hangs to minimize strain and the sawing action that occurs when the hoist line is pulled thru the weight. nice looking rig.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
You're exactly right dbl612. We caught that after we were ready to lift. On the liebherr, it doesn't come off as easy as the Grove, so we elected to leave it as is. Good eye!

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
You're exactly right dbl612. We caught that after we were ready to lift. On the liebherr, it doesn't come off as easy as the Grove, so we elected to leave it as is. Good eye!
i know what you are saying, we changed the weight to a split style (PAT style) to make life easy.

gostr8r

Occupation
Full time crane operator for Crane Rental Corp sin
dbl612 is dead right and another reason is the switch works more effectively when the trip weight is more plum. In fact a trip weight chain too far at a fleet angle can cause the a2b to lock you out without being up into it. Another point to think about is that if you weren’t VERY steady and gradual on the swing motions, and that long wide load rocked a bit, it would get out of level and with the rigging in a very narrow spread basket you could loose it. Probably didn’t bring a spreader bar and extra rigging and went super slow, cuz it was a safe lift.

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
dbl612 is dead right and another reason is the switch works more effectively when the trip weight is more plum. In fact a trip weight chain too far at a fleet angle can cause the a2b to lock you out without being up into it. Another point to think about is that if you weren’t VERY steady and gradual on the swing motions, and that long wide load rocked a bit, it would get out of level and with the rigging in a very narrow spread basket you could loose it. Probably didn’t bring a spreader bar and extra rigging and went super slow, cuz it was a safe lift.
we move/loadout 30,000 gal propane tanks that are not quite as long as those tanks, and i usually use a 15' spreader beam w/rubber pads (1/2 inch thick conveyor belting) to keep the wire chokers from skating down the shell. once that tank gets sliding theres going to be a dent in that shiney crane at the least.! prepare for the worst, and your outcome usually is the best. the long way is the short way. not being a buster, just don't like surprises.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I could start a new thread "Dumb things Impact did at work", but, I'll place this post here. Read this, and bash me, tell me how stupid I am, or whatever. I take full blame for it, and I'll agree with you.

On the 100T we run two winch lines. Winch 1 is a single part. Winch 2 we typically keep rigged with a 3 part line. It gives us about 41,000# of winch pull, which is enough to load counterweights etc. We have a larger block that has five pulleys on it. There's five pulleys on the boom nose.

Had a lift a boiler the other day off a truck and fish it inside a building using skates etc. As normal, I was getting conflicting answers on the weight. I really though an 8 part cable would suffice, but, why stop there? If 8 is good, 10 should be better. We made the lift and it was uneventful. Before we left they wanted us to life some screw conveyors on top of some storage tanks. Weight was only a few hundred pounds, but, the radius was 100-115'. I decided I needed the full 157' of live boom. Instinct was to unreeeve the 10 part cable and re-install the 3 part. I knew there was no way the block would make it to the gound. Everyone was ready to make the lift NOW, so, I ignored my instinct and left the 10 part cable on winch 1. I simply just kept it up near the boom tip. We lifted a couple of screw conveyors w/o any problems when all of a sudden, I got a two block alarm. You old crane operators probably already know what happened. I couldn't believe I had two blocked. I was 100% confidant I hadn't accidentally lifted winch 1. So, I let winch 1 down a bit. About that time, my guy hollered..WAIT..I looked over my shoulder and there was about 50-75' of cable laying on the ground. Wow and Yikes. The five part block was wedged up into the boom nose. I was totally lost for a bit there. I had NO idea what had happened.

Finally it dawned on me. The line on the boom side of the 10 part block was heavy enough to raise the block. It was like not having a heavy enough headache ball. It took us an hour to slowly wind the winch cable up, while drawing the main boom in inch by inch. Whenever we got about 2/3 of the boom in, we were able to lay the boom down and check everything out. Of course the winch cable looked like a bird's nest, but, we managed to NOT kink the line.

That happened to me once, it will NOT happen again.

Ok, tell me how stupid I am. I suppose the moral of the story could be "Trust your Instincts"

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
I could start a new thread "Dumb things Impact did at work", but, I'll place this post here. Read this, and bash me, tell me how stupid I am, or whatever. I take full blame for it, and I'll agree with you.

On the 100T we run two winch lines. Winch 1 is a single part. Winch 2 we typically keep rigged with a 3 part line. It gives us about 41,000# of winch pull, which is enough to load counterweights etc. We have a larger block that has five pulleys on it. There's five pulleys on the boom nose.

Had a lift a boiler the other day off a truck and fish it inside a building using skates etc. As normal, I was getting conflicting answers on the weight. I really though an 8 part cable would suffice, but, why stop there? If 8 is good, 10 should be better. We made the lift and it was uneventful. Before we left they wanted us to life some screw conveyors on top of some storage tanks. Weight was only a few hundred pounds, but, the radius was 100-115'. I decided I needed the full 157' of live boom. Instinct was to unreeeve the 10 part cable and re-install the 3 part. I knew there was no way the block would make it to the gound. Everyone was ready to make the lift NOW, so, I ignored my instinct and left the 10 part cable on winch 1. I simply just kept it up near the boom tip. We lifted a couple of screw conveyors w/o any problems when all of a sudden, I got a two block alarm. You old crane operators probably already know what happened. I couldn't believe I had two blocked. I was 100% confidant I hadn't accidentally lifted winch 1. So, I let winch 1 down a bit. About that time, my guy hollered..WAIT..I looked over my shoulder and there was about 50-75' of cable laying on the ground. Wow and Yikes. The five part block was wedged up into the boom nose. I was totally lost for a bit there. I had NO idea what had happened.

Finally it dawned on me. The line on the boom side of the 10 part block was heavy enough to raise the block. It was like not having a heavy enough headache ball. It took us an hour to slowly wind the winch cable up, while drawing the main boom in inch by inch. Whenever we got about 2/3 of the boom in, we were able to lay the boom down and check everything out. Of course the winch cable looked like a bird's nest, but, we managed to NOT kink the line.

That happened to me once, it will NOT happen again.

Ok, tell me how stupid I am. I suppose the moral of the story could be "Trust your Instincts"
you know what and why it happened. was basically caused because you were being a good guy, trying to move things along, and dealing with some impatient aholes. no good deed goes unpunished. luckily it was just an inconvience, and your helpers should of let you do what you wanted to do, because it took longer to straighten it all out anyway. don't waste any time condeming your actions, everyone will be glad to do it for you. after all you are the crane op and they blame you for all their shortcomings anyway. keep it up we need the input you offer to this forum.