• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Importing Used Machinery from Europe (ie. dealing with the EPA & CBP)

yank132

Has any forum member imported any post 1996 machinery that required an EPA Certificate of Conformity to show compliance with the US Tier I emissions regulations?

I’m contemplating purchasing and importing a 1998 excavator from Europe that has a Perkins 704-30 engine.

While I’m fairly certain that this engine was fitted to at least a few machines that were officially imported into America by various manufacturers/distributors, I’ve been unable to ascertain the EPA C of C number for this engine, which I gather is needed for any post 1996 engine/machine to be imported other than by one of the small number of exemptions that the EPA grants each year (only 1,309 were granted in 2008).

Since Perkins literature states that the 704-30 complied with both the EU Stage I and the EPA Tier 1 emissions standards, I fail to see why importing a machine equipped with a Perkins 704-30 engine should be at all complicated.

Evidently, if Perkins will supply me with a letter stating that the 704-30 engine in the machine I want to import is “identical in all material respects” to a US Certified version, then the EPA will grant an exemption.

But this hinges on there actually having been at least one US certified version of the Perkins 704-30 engine.

So, does any forum member have a late 1990’s machine with a Perkins 704-30 engine with the relevant EPA emissions labeling? If so, might you quote the EPA C of C number (or any other markings) on the labeling.

Any insights or information that forum members could provide regarding dealing with the EPA or CBP in regards to importing equipment for personal (as opposed to commercial) use would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We worked through this on the Pacific side of the country in the late nineties when the gray market was hitting on all cylinders.

Basically the engine must have a decal or sticker that states the EPA certification information. That would include the model and family numbers, horsepower or KW and the year that the engine conforms to. The whole thing is on the manufacturer's head. If the manufacturer won't give you the papers and sticker it can't come in. It doesn't matter whether or not it is the same engine as one that is already here.

The people I was working saw the light and only brought in machines with the stickers. Isuzu and the Cummins licensed engine generally were OK. Later on I did see some machines with non complying engines and the owner's were informed. Basically they lost their ability to trade the machines in on anything. The rule is absolute with the franchised dealers. No sticker, no trade in.

When the exchange rates turned over it became difficult to bring the grays into the country and make any money on selling them.

The cost of the subject machine must be pretty cheap to warrant importing it to this country.

Good Luck!