• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Information on hyd sample

nowing75

Hello im working on a 349e s/n tfg00712. Have a sample that was flagged for high chromium. the ppm is 7 and was 4 about 300 hours ago. Found about 50 or so small particles of what appears to be brass in the return filter on the bottom of the case but could not find anything in the filter media. Not showing anything in the sample to indicate the brass. Had a second sample taken and shows the same. running speed tests now to see if it shows anything. Would case drain flow be a good test? depends who i ask as to that being a valid test. Thanks for any info

Jason

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
A couple suggestions.

I would look close at the cylinder rods. Are they chrome or nitrite coated ?

secondly, I wound call the tribologist or the Lab Manager at the Cat dealer that ran your sample and ask him if that is abnormal for that machine.

How many total hours on the machine?

What’s the ISO 4406?

Cat usually doesn’t flag Chromium until 10 ppm. If I recall correctly.

Coaldust

Occupation
Make sure to sample again in 50 hours. Really need more samples than just two for accurate trending.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Total machine hours.? Cylinders original.?
ISO Cleanliness Code is important.

What recommendations were included with the SOS reports for the two samples you’ve had analyzed so far.? I’m assuming here that they were analyzed by the dealer and not by an outside lab.

Do you have any analysis results prior to the two you mention and what did they show for chromium or anything else that might have been out of the ordinary for that matter.

I will have to look for what chromium number throws a flag in an excavator hydraulic system.

nowing75

Sorry i should have included this the other day. Im not for sure how to read the iso numbers. The thing that gets me is that im seeing what i belive to be brass in the case drain filter. Bad thing is we do not know witch filter it came from as one is from the pump and the other is from the drive and swing. Im guessing any brass is bad but its not showing on the sample. Fluid has about 300 hours since the last sample that was good.

Attachments

• 508 hyd sample 2.pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 9

Coaldust

Occupation
Good on you for paying attention. You might be able to take care of the issue before a catastrophic failure occurs.

Brass in a case drain filter, eh? Could be coming from the slippers or the valve plate. The Chrome is probably from the pistons.

The ISO4406 cleanliness level is dirtier than I like to see. But, still within or close to the Cat guidelines. I would ask your parts guy if clean out filters are available for that machine. Run it 50 hours and check those case drains again. Maybe check your case drain numbers while you are at it.

This would be a great opportunity to run the oil through a clean-out cart. The wear you are seeing may stop if the oil was cleaner.

Nige

Im not for sure how to read the iso numbers.
It's not difficult. Simply repeat what's on the analysis report.......
I have attached a document that explains what the ISO Code is and how to interpret it. Basically the higher the number the more particles there were in the sample.
upload_2022-11-1_15-53-54.png
I would ask your parts guy if clean out filters are available for that machine. Run it 50 hours and check those case drains again.
What Part Number of filters are you using.? I can look up to see if cleanout elements are available for them.

Attachments

• PEJT5025-02 - Particle Count by ISO Code.pdf
    580.7 KB · Views: 2

Coaldust

Occupation
I’m guessing a failed hydraulic hose or a cylinder replacement. The repair probably included the addition of clean oil.

Coaldust

Occupation
Sometimes the oil control edges on the slippers can chunk-out vs traditional super-fine wear production. Those chunks are too big to measure during sample analysis.

The pump may have experienced a shot of dirt from a repair. I’m guessing it has leaking cylinders ingesting dirt pass the wiper.

Coaldust

Occupation
Speaking of SOS. Paul Cigala with Exxon/Mobil is hosting a oil analysis class this afternoon. I’m looking forward to it

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
On type of metal in a short time doesn't say imminent failure to me and the interpreter on the report just says to increase the monitoring. The hours on the sample report are in an area of concern as to the life of the components. I've seen issues at as low as 8,000 and then again good life up to 15,000. How long is the stick, how big are the buckets, does the machine travel a lot and does it have twin swing machineries?

Nige

On type of metal in a short time doesn't say imminent failure to me and the interpreter on the report just says to increase the monitoring.
I agree with you John, but that does not take into account the brass/bronze particles in the screen, information that would not have been available to whoever did the SOS report interpretation.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Still not a reason to panic. If something is coming apart to the extent of affecting operation, it will make itself known shortly. The OP might do some studying to identify just where brass might be used and check on future repair options. The only change in the sample in the last 300 or so hours of the samples in the chrome content. Particle content actually got better.

nowing75

It's not difficult. Simply repeat what's on the analysis report.......
I have attached a document that explains what the ISO Code is and how to interpret it. Basically the higher the number the more particles there were in the sample.
View attachment 271419
What Part Number of filters are you using.? I can look up to see if cleanout elements are available for them.
We are using 0937521 on the case drains. 179-9806 is the return filters. thank you for all your help. I think maybe the reason it got better is i added oil after we checked case drains.

Coaldust

Occupation
Thanks for the update. I guess, run it and pull a sample in 50 hours. You could measure case drain to get a base line on pump health. Especially, with the brass concern.