• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersoll Rand SPF-56 and Detroit Diesel Manuals

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Just Picked up an IR SPF-56 sheep's foot vibrating compactor with a Detroit Diesel at auction and I was wondering if anybody has any manuals related to operation, parts, service for the machine as well as the Detroit Diesel engine that is in it. The data plates are a bit worn out, but it looks like the engine has a model number of 50437001 which I think is a 453N engine?

Vetech63

Ingersol tech and parts book are difficult to find and a lot of the info in those books is very generic. I can assure you that there is plenty of experience on this forum that will make the manufacturers book look pretty stupid

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Ya, I understand that, but I need a few parts that are not standard and I at least want to try and order those first before I have some custom ones made.

Vetech63

What parts are you looking for? Most of any Ingersol is a collection of multiple manufacturers. I have had much better luck going to the manufacturers of any part I may need.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
How much time do you have? Hehe. I’ve only given it a quick once over since I took delivery yesterday.

On the engine itself, it looks like someone cut 2 inches out of one of the hard fuel lines from the filter to the pump. I’m assuming that’s not factory unless it is some sort of vibration isolation?
The main fuel lines from the tank to the first filter are completely cracked and they don’t look like standard fuel lines. Looks like they have special fittings on both sides.
The wiring looks like a mess that someone tried to fix but didn’t know how and I found a spool of wire connected to one of the sensors.
The engine is almost impossible to start cold. The strange thing is that it pops off almost immediately and then it sounds like a fuel starvation issue and shuts down. If I use a ton of starter fluid and set for a fairly high rpm I can get it running. Once running it will start the rest of the day no problem.
I also think something in the throttle body is way out of adjustment. If you drop below 1500 rpm the engine shutdown. If you go to full throttle it goes off the tachometer which stops at 3,000rpm. The control panel used to have a pull to shutdown lever that is missing and someone wrote “Kill” above the throttle idle lever, so it makes me think they may have done some modification to the throttle assembly to make it work like that.

The batteries are hooked up in a 24V configuration and the battery gauge on the dash is 12V but it also looks like it was replaced. So I am not sure if the batteries were hooked up wrong or someone put the wrong gauge in. If it is 12V, it makes me think that might be why the other gauges seem to be reading high?

The air brakes are covered in oil and when I honk the air horn some oil squirts out.
The air brakes don’t look like anything I can find when I google them and I can’t find a part number on them. They are cans, but with bolts on the top and no clamping rings like you see on common cans. I have no reference on how to adjust these and how to service them as I don’t think they work. (They also scare the hell out of me after watching how much force can be on these springs).
No idea what the air pressure should be, but it pegs the gauge at 160 so it might be beyond that.
The control console has a pull level for the air brakes. When I push it in, it pops back out. If I hold it in for a while it will finally stay in, but it doesn’t feel right to me. It is very mushy and I even watched liquid come out when pushing it in.
This is my first piece of equipment with air so this is all new to me, so no idea what to look for or how to diagnose issues with the pump.

When the vibration is on, I think a lot of energy is transferred to the rest of the machine as the rubber isolation boots on the drum are very cracked and I am assuming need replacement. No idea on how these should be correctly spec’d.

The general control console has some levers and lights that are no longer labeled and I would love to know what they are supposed to do / indicate.

The fuel gauge is very broken too.

I have attached some pictures just to give you a feel for it. Here is a video of it starting after sitting for a few hours:

F92C8257-2978-463A-9C62-390D4BB8C0E6.jpegD99FC0DC-0462-4309-B393-274D0A306B85.jpeg6BE83B9F-A970-4AF1-AC71-9F7A08F08359.jpeg840A4F9A-A842-42A0-B0C2-56E649FC70C5.jpeg