• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ingersoll_Rand SD-40F compactor

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Anyone have a digital copy or any service information on this small soil compactor? It appears to be a collaboration between Volvo, I-R and is powered by J-D. I don't have the basic numbers on this machine. Looks like it was stripped of tags for some reason. The J-D engine tag is there, but supposedly there isn't a problem with that. I am told it was run with too little and eventually no hydraulic oil, so I expect lots of burned bearings and fried clutches. As usual, I end up the last resort to try and breathe a little more life back into things. Honestly, I have my doubts on this one. The best description I can find online is here: https://www.volvoce.com/global/en/p...ingersoll-rand-soil-compactors/sd-40d-sd-40f/

If anyone has some experience with the hydraulic system on this thing, I'd appreciate your thoughts on getting into it, and any testing that I can do to see if there is enough left inside to warrant the time and effort to tear it down and try to resurrect it. Supposedly, the engine will run, but the machine will not move. I don't know yet if that means that someone refilled it and it still won't move, or it just got pushed to its current parking place.

It seems my to-do list is growing much faster than I can thin it out. Suggestions appreciated, and any questions I can answer, I will.

IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1125.JPG

Vetech63

First off, it should be hydrostatic drive. The main pumps are usually Sauer Danfoss or Sundstrand, the rear drive motor is usually a Sauer or Sundstrand, and the drum drive will be a Poclain rotary drive. Everything on the machine hydro/hydra is repairable, its just whether you want to spend the money it will take to do it. You will need to check the charge pressure at the main pumps, then with each drive motor blocked off. That will narrow down whether you have a pump or motor problem......or both. The bad thing about these older Ingersoll's is they have been obsoleting ALOT the last few years. It is difficult to get much technical information since the buyout with Volvo, and what info you can get is usually vague and incomplete.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Well, testing I can do, since it at least runs. It has a Commercial Intertech tagged motor for the front drive. I have not started tearing it down yet. We're supposed to be pretty wet here all week, so I won't get into it until we get a bit drier. I'm guessing that if they ran it dry, the pumps would have taken the worst of it. I keep an assortment of gauges and tees plus plugs and caps for isolation testing, so that's where it will start I suppose.
Pity about the effects of such a buyout. It doesn't seem to be a complex machine though, so might not need the tech lit so much. Part might be a problem, but if it's something that I can build in my machine shop, maybe I can get it going again. We have a decent seal supplier here, so their is hope.

Thanks Vetech

Vetech63

The Commercial InterTech tag is probably on the vibrator drive motor (right side of the drum when sitting in the seat). The left side motor should be a Poclain (unless its some oddball that I haven't seen before). I am assuming it doesn't try to move at all? Any type of noise changes when you try to move it?

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Yes, that's the motor on the right side. I really haven't spent much time with it yet. Got pulled off for a Volvo Articulated offroad dumper, then Hogzilla broke down. May be a few days before I get back to this machine. It's on the same site as the grinder, so I'll at least have another look at the drive motor. And I'll try to find out who drove it last, if they are still employed there. Maybe they can describe its symptoms.

Ben Witter

As stated this hydrostatic drive. My first word of advice is to operate it and see what it does or does not do. There may not be much wrong at all.

It should have a tandem 46 series Sundstrand pump. One section running the vib motor and the other running the traction circuit. Charge relief is 230psi, traction reliefs are 5000psi and vib are 2540. Traction circuit has the front motor which as FWF is most likely a Poclain but they have used other vendors depending on vintage and model. The rear are 2 travel motors into left and right torque hubs. Torque hubs and rear motors can be the weak point. There is also a traction valve which is just flow-dividers separating the front from from the rear circuit and left from right rear motors.
I would highly recommend going to the Sauer-Danfoss website and download the M46 tandem pump troubleshooting and service manuals.

As far as manuals or service literature if you have the operators and manual parts manuals plus schematics you have pretty much everything that is available. IR was never one to write service manuals but they do a few I just don't think they did for these models.

The first step you need to take is run it and verify the operation of the machine if there is something wrong or it does not drive then check the charge pressure both in neutral and moving. This will tell you more than anything else you can check on the machine. If it will not move and there is no charge pressure pull the filter and cut it open

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
The only reasons I can think to take the identification off the machine it’s stolen or so it couldn’t be repossessed.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Bls, that's one possibility I suppose, but this owner is a pretty straight-up guy and I'm sure he would not knowingly take possession of a machine with those kinds of problems. I don't know the real history of this machine. Many of the machines I work on for this guy come to me through auction buys he makes. It seems that most of the time, he is buying someone else's headache, but he does get a lot of machinery for little money, and if it can be put back into service, or sold off, most of the time we come out ahead. He's shrewd, and we have a good crew to work this stuff over.
I may not have spent sufficient time to declare the machine stripped.....any tags were not easily visible in a close walk around. I have not taken time to get back to it to see, or test anything on it. Too many more urgent projects keep pushing it back. As soon as I get to it, I'll be posting what I find out.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
My apologies, guys...I failed to follow up with the forum.

To start off, the engine would not run. Some time in a past life, the original cast iron (I'm thinking) exhaust manifold broke off, or cracked to bits, or something pretty extreme. There is a shop built steel "plenum" for lack of a proper name attached to the 3 stubs left from the original manifold. They routed the exhaust straight up and put a rain cap on the stack. Somewhere down the line, this being a rattler 3 cylinder, the unsupported muffler weight cracked their weld at the top of the box and quite a bit of rain got in and I'm sure you know the rest of that story. I had to pull the injectors and roll it over until it had blown most of the water out. A quick look with a bore scope surprised me enough to get some hope up for it. The engine oil was very overfilled, so naturally it was full of water. I drained and changed it, ran it until hot, then changed again and filter. I did also find a couple of electrical problems that probably existed already, but over all, that's all it needed to get it drive-able. One tire was a little low, and the lift cylinder leaks like a sieve, but the owner at that time said we didn't need the blade, so rig it for chains and cap the lines. Now however, it's too small for us, so I'm going to repack/reseal the cylinder and it's going up to the rental/sales fleet after we play with it enough to see if anything else is wrong with it. We have a good fab guy, so he restructured the exhaust system to cure the weld cracking issue. There is now a sacrificial piece of flex in the exhaust system and the muffler is supported on brackets.

Hatchequip, I am afraid I can't say on that machine whether it has a master clutch. For operating, there is a single FNR lever that can vary the groundspeed, and another lever for the vibration circuit. Single push-pull knob for the parking brake. One lever for engine speed. That's all I can remember at the moment. I've had to jump on other machines since then. We are grading and packing some additional millings for parking some equipment, and when it's dry enough I think they are running this little packer and a Hy Pac smooth roller on it.

I also did find the tag on the machine, btw. It just took a little climbing around on it.

Last edited:

wreckn1

As stated this hydrostatic drive. My first word of advice is to operate it and see what it does or does not do. There may not be much wrong at all.

It should have a tandem 46 series Sundstrand pump. One section running the vib motor and the other running the traction circuit. Charge relief is 230psi, traction reliefs are 5000psi and vib are 2540. Traction circuit has the front motor which as FWF is most likely a Poclain but they have used other vendors depending on vintage and model. The rear are 2 travel motors into left and right torque hubs. Torque hubs and rear motors can be the weak point. There is also a traction valve which is just flow-dividers separating the front from from the rear circuit and left from right rear motors.
I would highly recommend going to the Sauer-Danfoss website and download the M46 tandem pump troubleshooting and service manuals.

As far as manuals or service literature if you have the operators and manual parts manuals plus schematics you have pretty much everything that is available. IR was never one to write service manuals but they do a few I just don't think they did for these models.

The first step you need to take is run it and verify the operation of the machine if there is something wrong or it does not drive then check the charge pressure both in neutral and moving. This will tell you more than anything else you can check on the machine. If it will not move and there is no charge pressure pull the filter and cut it open
Hi Ben, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to this units. I have an IR SD40D, vib motor works fine, it goes forward fine, but will only move in reverse on flat ground, wide open and even then it's sluggish. We had the main hydraulic pumps removed and checked/rebuilt. Reinstalled and still the same issue. I had a mobile mechanic (Volvo guy) do some checking and he capped each drive motor and tested individually and said all checked out. Could it be in the traction valve or do we need to look somewhere else? Like I said it goes forward just fine. Thank you in advance!