• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

inside piston seal replacement tool

DaniZ

51-6Dd8h1XL._SY90_.jpg

Hello people! So I'm not a full time repair person nor have shelves full of unique or specialty tools to do repair work on my 1978 Case 580B CK backhoe. Yes, I've bought reasonable tools as I've went and best cost parts. I finally bought a bad city lot with a crappy house on it in 1998, the repair costs were awful plus just finding someone to help me at short notice. I finally bought "Casey" in 2004 to do the major earthwork instead of hiring help, or begging for friends to assist every time I turned around. Best choice of my life!! I've been successful at everything from drains, driveway, landscaping, and then building needs. It's made it possible to afford and do special designs/projects in/on my own time. NOT depending on others or saving up for the expense has been amazing. I highly recommend private ownership of a full size backhoe over any other piece of equipment for the endless value it can provide for property repairs and improvements. I rent other equipment, but use the backhoe all the time. However, depending on the abusive of a project, many maintenance and basic repairs needs have come up for me. I thank, AND depend on the wonderful and BRAVE people who post videos on YouTube for guidance of how to do a repair or NOT to do in some cases, as well as for set up, in action situations, and reassembly. I recently found THIS website where real people are willing to share facts and ideas too.
Recently, I came to realize that evil aliens who eat cumquats created the seal design for the outrigger cylinders!!! I argued with the gland nut on the good cylinder for hours but it finally broke free with the 3rd type of wrench style and a long cheater bar. The bad cylinder, has broken or damaged all wrenches with no success yet. I've now set my sites on a stronger spanner-gland wrench that states it's actually designed to be hammered on and a cheater bar is recommended. Guess I'll see.
Meanwhile, setting into the mode of reassembly with new seals to the 1st cylinder attempt, the inside devil was awful! I didn't know there was an actual tool to collapse the crazy awful thing! Not sure, but perhaps other poor souls have spent up to an hour trying to finagle the seal in like I did or not. All the videos I could find on YT paused the procedure, only to have the person come back to say how much time it took and how awful it was. Now then, I have so many more seals to do that I went hunting for plausible answers! This picture shows an amazing tool for the job. I don't think that a brand name matters much; I sure hope it does the job with the next cylinder, if so, it'll be worth its weight in gold,,, or printer ink. ;)

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Those tool sets are well worth the price in sanity and hair loss. They are not perfect but they make the job much easier and usually prevent damage to the new seals.