• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insley Excavator

Metalman 55

I don't miss all that greasing!! Used to be about 2 1/2 tube of grease to grease the whole machine, of which 70% went to the unsealed undercarriage!! Then, remember the thick tar that was recommended to put on the swing gear?

bbxdirt

Picking up a 74 h2000 tomorrow. 89k lb beast. Imo i think The design was great and overbuilt, the machine is a 1 owner and was used personally and not even close to being wore out. The type of machine that will last multiple generations. Too bad so many have been scrapped.

bbxdirt

Us prepping to move her. Took the Counter weight, stick and bucket off to we could get it down in the 60's. Shes a big girl and we had a blast taking her apart. The pins and bushings are new! I couldnt believe it. Previous owner must of had it all done prior to parking it. Thats a big reason in me buying it because the machine work required to bring her bavk up is basically nill. She runs w 8v71. Needs all new hoses and cylinders redone. I plan to get her back in shape and back in the field. Pumps, gear boxes, hoses, 8v71 will all be gone through. 20171202_170931.jpg 20171202_190301.jpg

Metalman 55

Nice looking old Insley bbxdirt! Post a few pictures of the controls if you can. She is a real brute!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That is a MONSTER!! Good seeing good luck on breaking the old gal down. Someone took good enough care to keep it that way.

oldrusty

well i am back. the owner of the H-875 still wants to sell and at a lower price. can parts still be sourced at WC sales? the model has the four peddles on the floor so could someone explain their function?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One set, I BELIEVE the right side run the bucket, the left for stick travel? Been a LOONG time since I was even CLOSE to one when working.

Metalman 55

That's correct RH side pedals were for the bucket & LH side stick control.

The earlier Insleys had just rocking pedals that were rocked ahead & back & the two pedal control for each function came a bit later. I ran the H875 a little & the H560B machines more.

oldrusty

Thanks for the info. so to extend the stick you push down one peddle then when you want to retract it you slide your foot over to the other peddle and push it down?

oldrusty

ok another question. the H-875 i am looking at seems to be in pretty decent shape,no leaks and everything operates as it should. kinda hard to believe a machine made in 71 would still operate. the tracks are almost at max adjustment without moving the drive tumblers. there is allot of adjustment there though. i checked with a salvage yard just to see what the scrap value would be and got a 1800 dollar quote. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS THING IS WORTH?????? all opinions welcome thanks

Metalman 55

Take a few pictures & post if you can. The undercarriage adjustment can be done at both ends I think, if I remember correctly. The one adjustment tightens both the drive chain & the undercarriage & the other one just the undercarriage. Do I have that right?.........it has been a long time for me......45 yrs.!! It is a mechanical screw with a jam nut & they can seize if not kept free.

If in decent running condition, I would think $7,500 would be a fair price.

BTW, I have a 1971 D6C & a 1972 941 Track loader & both are in good working condition.....no guarantees though!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Engine by itself in decent condition, running is a couple grand, then the hydraulics parts, cylinders, valves pumps, all worth something, a working machine can be well worth what you can determine against similar if not newer other make machines.

oldrusty

Engine by itself in decent condition, running is a couple grand, then the hydraulics parts, cylinders, valves pumps, all worth something, a working machine can be well worth what you can determine against similar if not newer other make machines.

yes that is what i am going to do. i want to be fair to the seller but i don't want pay more than i can recover in salvage plus a couple hundred hours of use. i don't think i can get more than 1500 for the engine and about 1700 for the scrap iron. as for the insley parts "who knows",and i really don't want to salvage anyway but if it breaks before i can get some work from it i want to be able to recover some of the cost. now if if if it lasts a few years i will be ok. repair is out of the question"i think".

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Make him that offer, $3200 and see what says, can only say no or come back with a counter. That is how I ended up with my $Money$ pit Allis!! Bid low keep the numbers where you are comfortable and walk off if too far out of range. Me personally, if a decent machine and works easy works well for a farm or personal use around $5k to $6K would be a steal for a excavator.

oldrusty

it is amazing how many Insley excavators i found for sale or still running around the country. where do you guys that have insleys get parts??? i just assumed that parts were non existent but there must be someplace supporting the machines left. i know there was a place called W.C. sales but they are no more. did some company buy their inventory or did it just get melted down. how about dismantled machines? i found some from the eighties but very few from the 1970 era.