• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insley Excavator

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most of the older machines used a lot of generic parts, easier to get easier to repair not like today with Manufacturing trying/forcing to keep in house.

oldrusty

well i guess that makes sense. i figured most of the hydraulic components were off the shelf stuff and the clutch if it has one would be a twin disc. i guess the center hydraulic swivel would probably be repairable by common orings. the only thing left would be the gears in the drive case and some other stuff

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am suspecting you won't find too much not generic on these. Simple seal packages, common to many other styled systems and repairable easier than new stuff.

labdwakin

My INSLEY H560-T is mounted on a CCC 10 wheel truck chassis so it wouldn't have all the same parts as a track machine. But with a little digging, you can find a parts manual for one of the more common machines on Ebay. Mine is a mid-60s model that is slowly coming back to life and working a little easier and better as time goes by.

bunkclimber

have you had any progress on the old H2000 profiled here? I'd love to see more of what you did to it.

pjflyer

Hey guys, it's been a while. 560B still running strong with a few mods. Still looking for a couple of track shoes if anyone knows of any. 18" across.

Metalman 55

Hey guys, it's been a while. 560B still running strong with a few mods. Still looking for a couple of track shoes if anyone knows of any. 18" across.

That must be a "non standard" undercarriage on that machine as the 560B's had 24" shoes on them.

Any pictures of your machine available?

skyking1

Insley 1500 was the first excavator I ran, loading pit run for a school job. Thanks for a great thread.
I want to say it was 1987?
I remember overloading trucks and getting that ass-chewing, and blowing an o-ring repeatedly when I dug to full reach. I got that sorted out, he wanted as deep as I could go and I explained that pulled hard enough on the lines to cause the leak and we agreed to back off just a touch.

Stephen Oglesby

Hello all, new member here and it looks as if I’m in the right place, with a lot of knowledge on these old insley’s. I recently got a h-875 with the 4-71 Detroit it starts up perfectly, everything moves as it should (leaks a little hydraulic fluid while it’s moving) except the tracks. They worked as they should when the old girl was parked about 12-15 years ago, but now they don’t even try to move. We had to undo the small, inner, drive chains so the tracks could roll freely to get it loaded on the trailer. Does anyone have any experience with this, or just suggestions on where to start looking to get her rolling again would be greatly appreciated. And thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read this and for any information. BC846064-F1C2-4B94-98BC-31DC0125A94A.jpeg508D5128-1740-4551-9F33-C07DF76AF9A4.jpeg674BD0EF-A592-4E57-95F1-895DEBEC7450.jpegC8261382-723E-4A53-A751-B39B523993A6.jpeg

pjflyer

Welcome to HEF. Did you put the chains back on yet? I would see if the small drive gear will turn without the chains on. I have an 875 that I just got this summer, still working the bugs out, but it's getting there. I also have a 580B that I've had for several years. I don't know if you have manuals, but it helps to understand how the systems work and how to troubleshoot. It could be a few different things. I don't know how familiar you are with Insley machines, but the propel (drive) system has three levers. The one on the left of the seat is the forward/ reverse lever, this just drives the transmission (gear box) in one direction or the other. The two on the left side of the seat are the drive engage/ disengage/ brakes. Pushing a lever forward simultaneously disengages the drive gear from the jaw and applies the brake on the corresponding track (left lever- left track). Moving the lever to the rear releases the brake and engages the gear into the jaw. If you already know this my apologies. When working the brake levers, you should hear the engine labor a bit after a few seconds, this will indicate whether the system is getting hydraulic flow. Since you've had it running and operating, I assume there is enough hydraulic fluid in the tank and the pumps are working. If it's not a hydraulic issue, you might have to take off the belly pans and look underneath. There are two hydraulic motors connected to a drive transmission (gear box). Out of the drive transmission there is a gear-and-jaw mechanism along with brake bands that work in concert. If the brakes have been applied the gear and jaw will (should) be disconnected. The drive transmission can still be engaged and turn, but if both brake levers have been activated there is nothing connecting the transmission to the drive gears. There are other possibilities, but this is long enough to get you started. Post what you find out and we'll go from there. Good Luck!

Stephen Oglesby

Thank you for the reply, and no I don’t have a manual yet but it’s on the to-do list. And as for loading it, there was more than one bad word said that day! But the short story is, I turned to the side just enough the trailer could squeeze by the bucket and raised the tracks up as high as I could get them, backed the trailer under the tracks(had to fight to keep the little fold down ramps from digging into the dirt the whole way), then after the trailer was somewhat under it we ran a chain across the front to keep it from sliding off, and we put a winch line on the front of it and then spun the machine around to push with the bucket, and between pushing with the bucket and pulling with the winch it surprisingly loaded up the rest of the way very easily. And that’s the short story, there were numerous failed attempts throughout the full 9 hour day of loading 1 machine.
And thank you for the suggestions on where to start looking and especially for the info on how to operate the tracks! I assumed that the side sticks were the track operating controls but, I won’t even lie, I was not sure exactly how to use them.

pjflyer

I reread my post. I mistyped on the levers. The left lever from the seat is forward and reverse, but the levers on the RIGHT (I said left twice before) control the brakes/ engagement. When I got the first Insley, it was very confusing on how the drive worked, but eventually figured it out, so you're not alone in that boat. I later found some manuals for it, which helped in a lot of areas. I was wondering if you were familiar or not - no shame in that. Post again when you have an update or other issues. I have learned quite a bit about these machines over the past few years.

Metalman 55

I 2nd the idea for the travel / brake lever arrangement. When the drive chains are behind you, shove the LH lever ahead to go forward & pull back for reverse. Of course if you swing around its all opposite.

Just forget which direction to engage the brake levers on the RH side with the chains behind you.........my guess is to pull back to apply the brakes?? Seems to me we had to apply the brakes when getting ready to dig so the tracks didn't start turning? Its been over 40 years since I sat in the seat of one of those so things are a bit foggy!!:D

Good ole 4-71 screamer......get out the earplugs so you don't go deaf like me!!