• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insley Excavator

pjflyer

Not sure about that one. I have a 560B and a 875 and they have Detroits: 453, 471. Looks like a Detroit with a turbo.
What's your ability and time to work on these? I've had to do work on various sections of mine, but haven't had to rebuild any engines. The 875 with the 471 was seized when I got it, but got it loose and runs great - it had been sitting for 15 years or so when I came across it. One thing of mine (early 70's models), is they are made of real steel. A little up keep goes a long way, I don't think they make them like they used to. It can be worth it if you have digging to do and it's handy to have, but like anything old, they need work. I haven't had any experience with final drives on Insleys. It's got a nice paint job at least.

If everything is working well (no hyd leaks, or track issues) it might be worth it. Any issues and that price is high IMHO.
Good luck, keep us posted!

Metalman 55

Engine......sort of looks like Cummins or Perkins from the one pic...........historically the Insley's were all Detroits, but that must have changed in the later models.??

pjflyer

Could be... I can't quite tell from that picture. I don't know much about the later models. As I said in my earlier post, I haven't had any experience with Insley final drives. Don't know if they're good or not.

Wes(MI)

Engine......sort of looks like Cummins or Perkins from the one pic...........historically the Insley's were all Detroits, but that must have changed in the later models.??

No, not really true. In the manuals for my 1968 H875, they showed 2 options for engines. The first one (and probably preferred) is the 471 Detroit, the second one is a Cummins. I've seen late 60s & early 70s machines for sale with Cummins. I think that the Detroit engines were just more popular.

pjflyer

I might have skipped over those details, probably looking for info I needed at the time. Of course no telling what changes previous owners have done also. 50 years or more, most that are still operating have seen a lot! I've repacked a few hydraulic cylinders and most of them have been replaced. It's not often the schematic in the manual matches what I've taken apart. I usually have to mic everything and order seals that way.

Metalman 55

No, not really true. In the manuals for my 1968 H875, they showed 2 options for engines. The first one (and probably preferred) is the 471 Detroit, the second one is a Cummins. I've seen late 60s & early 70s machines for sale with Cummins. I think that the Detroit engines were just more popular.

That's correct, now that you mention it. I do recall a late 60's H875 that I ran a bit that did have a Cummins in it, V8 I believe & also a 560B from the early 70's that had a V6 Cummins as well. See what age does to ones ability to recall things??;)

Wes(MI)

That's correct, now that you mention it. I do recall a late 60's H875 that I ran a bit that did have a Cummins in it, V8 I believe & also a 560B from the early 70's that had a V6 Cummins as well. See what age does to ones ability to recall things??;)

No worries, I forget things all the time! people wonder why I spend the money I do on factory manuals and sales brochures. Information on old iron isn't getting any easier to find.