• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Inspection camera

pumkinhead

just a note, not all android devices support usb otg, so you might not be able to use a usb camera

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've always kept a cheap USB type inspection camera on my truck but rarely used it due to the poor image quality and nearly useless, limp-noodle cable. I think those models that I had were 640x480 image capable and could see about as good as most burrowing moles in a muddy tunnel - brings back memories of the South Park Lemmiwinks episodes. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to find my internal water leak on a JD4045T engine so I started researching whats available for new tech in bore cameras. I borrowed a neighbor's General brand bore scope but again, the image quality was not all that clear. His unit moved the bar up to maybe a mole with a good LED head lamp - still not very detailed or clear but there was some light in the tunnel.

I spent more time comparing the newer stuff and found that I could now purchase "steerable" bore scopes that raised the bar to the point of being quite useful. So a firm but flexible lead with steering capabilities and bright LED's should make for a very useful item IF the camera resolution is good enough. I did not find any 4k cameras at a reasonable price but 1080p is suitable for a decent picture or video on close up work.

I caught a deal on Amazon for this unit at $159 over the weekend. It has really high reviews.
71Yz8ed3vHL._SL1500_[1].jpg

720 & 1080p resolutions, 4 hr battery life, carry case, 2 way steerable head, 5.5' semi rigid lead length, memory card, pics and videos, variable intensity LED lighting, hook+ mirror+ magnet tips, 4.3" monitor and a 0.33" camera diameter. Sure, it's an off brand name but so what as long as it works?

It was delivered yesterday and I tried it out. What a game changer for bore scopes being able to steer it and look back 180 degrees inside a cylinder. THIS I will keep in my truck at all times. This unit has potential with much cleaner images. This mole's got good glasses, a bright light and takes directions quite well. Until they come out with a micro drone with 4k or better, this will be my go-to inspection tool. I'm sure it will come in handy trying to run wiring behind drywall and other odd jobs when I remember that I have this in my arsenal. The only thing that would make it better would be the ability to hook it direct to a larger monitor rather than depending on the memory card xfer method. Still a big bang for the buck and very useful.

Amazon Link Here