• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is this a bad idea?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have an aluminum thermostat housing, it has quite a bit of pitting and corrosion on the sealing surfaces and also where the radiator hose should clamp. I am thinking of finding some way to "deck" the sealing surface, but I can't think of a way to repair the pitting on the hose outlet. Is there a way to repair aluminum? If it was steel I would fill and grind, but I don't know much about aluminum. It would be easiest to just replace the part, but Cat wants $700 for it

KIMG3372.JPG

KIMG3368.JPG

KIMG3374.JPG

Acoals

Occupation
9Y2587

Thermostat housing off a 3406C. It is the inner housing, the part that bolts to the block.

skyking1

^ that pitting is a manufacturing defect. It will not fail further if you clean it out as he said. If you want it smooth the epoxy will do it.
For decking it, I clamp things like that in a vice and use a brand new 12" file on them. If you have a steady hand you won't round the corners appreciably and it will produce really flat results.

Acoals

Occupation
The pitting was too deep to sand with a disc and have a good flat sealing surface afterwards. I ended up sending the piece to a machine shop, they decked the mating surface down and welded the pitting on the radiator hose outlet and then re ground it. It came out nice and cost about $200.

Truck Shop

Epoxy-That's what is used to fill lower liner bores that are pitted in a Cat block. Done many
that way never had a issue leaking past liner o-rings. So it will work for that too.
Make sure to anti seize the entire length of those mounting bolts, or cover with moly.
Even though you already completed it.