• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It almost worked

Turbo21835

I bet he wishes he woulda kicked the brake on this load line loose and let the ball hit the ground while he was swingin away. Ive heard of this happening before. The last one i heard was a crane operator tripped a grain silo, after the dust cleared he couldnt find the ball. After looking at the boom tip he realized what happend. The ball swung around the boom tip when the top of the silo hit the ball as it fell.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Man with all that room why not just use TNT, and call her a day?

Turbo21835

Tonka, a lot of places will not allow you to use explosives. New York City being a prime example. That and TNT is quite expensive. I was on a job where we shot 3 smokestacks. If i remember correctly it cost 50k for about 40lbs of explosive and two days of prep work.

Lashlander

Tonka, a lot of places will not allow you to use explosives. New York City being a prime example. That and TNT is quite expensive. I was on a job where we shot 3 smokestacks. If i remember correctly it cost 50k for about 40lbs of explosive and two days of prep work.

Interesting to know how much of that went to the insurance company.

Turbo21835

I would imagine a good portion went to the insurance company. Not sure, since the whole site was being torn down, so unless they blew a stack sky high there wasnt much risk involved

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
though it's the first thing that people think of when they think demolition, Blasting is reserved as a last resort for most projects. if it is in any way feasible to do mechanically, it will be. blasting accounts for less than 1% of all demolition, especially since once the blasting is done you still need equipment to clean up the mess. it is a huge liability, and SOOOO much red tape! We're shooting a stack on saturday, which has been re-scheduled 4 times because of nothing more than dust control issues.

Eric

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I've seen several things blasted that could of been done mechanically, so I wouldn't say its a last resort.