• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IT12 - 3204 piston problems

Robbo55

Hi, from aus!

Have tried searching before posting.

3204: 45V74688

Currently doing a major overhaul on my 3204 engine. Ive bought brand new everything and the piston pin does not fit into the bearing. The wall thickness of the new bearing is thicker than original. Looking at my parts book and confirming with the Cat dealers online system, we both have the same numbers.

Piston pin: 7N9803
Bearing: 9N5082

The only difference in part numbers from the new to old, is the old bearing has an X at the end. But the dealer says it doesn’t mean anything and nothing comes up with the X.

The pin from new and old are the same diametre. It’s the wall thickness of the bearing that has changed, so the pin will no longer go through the piston.

This has been confirmed with measuring tools.

I’m waiting to hear back from the Cat dealer to see what Cat have to say.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Cheers, Ben!

Cmark

Back in the day it was common for new small-end bushes to have to be reamed to size. Don't stress, just drop them in to whoever does your engine machining work locally.

Dave Neubert

Like CMark said you have to have bushing reamed or honed to fit. Do you have the proper mandrel for pressing the bushing in because it is almost impossible to install it without damaging it

Robbo55

Thanks fellas.

Caterpillar came back with what you both said: press the bearings in, then machine to size. (They supplied me with specs)

Nope, I don’t have the tool to press them in. I’ll leave that up to the machine shop who done my block, crank and head!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Speak to your machine shop before they start. Make sure they have to correct tooling for the job and aren't just winging it.
An induction heater is one way of getting those bushes in easier, but it will still require a mandrel to ensure the correct bushing alignment.

Reactions: DB2

Robbo55

Speak to your machine shop before they start. Make sure they have to correct tooling for the job and aren't just winging it.
An induction heater is one way of getting those bushes in easier, but it will still require a mandrel to ensure the correct bushing alignment.

Yep, will do. Thanks for your information!