• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Iveco

big builder

Hello,

Didn't relly know where to ask this but I am looking for feedback on Iveco diesel engines?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've only worked on one of them and didn't think much of the design or the quality of the parts.

It was in a Fiat Allis dozer and had been worked on prior. The engine sort of looked like a small D8H engine with two seperate heads. This particular engine was also used in trucks with a different fuel system. The model year of the dozer was in the nineties but the design appeared to be from the sixties.

Whoever installed the heads didn't properly torque them down and it promptly blew a head gasket. I had massive amounts of compression gas is the radiator. Anyway the forward head is different than the rear head. That also means the head gaskets are also forward and rear. The manifolds are a real pain to remove and reinstall and the fuel injector piping snakes its way through the holes in the intake manifold. The exhaust manifold as I recall had the front two cylinders seperate and the rear two cylinders seperate but the center two had some jury rigged looking setup. At any rate it didn't appear to be able to clear the exhaust very well out the center holes. This seemed to be confirmed when I used my infrared thermometer to check cylinders after the engine was running again.

Sourcing parts wasn't too bad as I did the job for the Fiat Allis dealer but it did take about a week to get all the parts without paying a bunch of air freight. Getting the heads machined was probably the biggest expense and pain. The rear one turned out to be cracked. There was also some issue about doing the valve guides and having a special tool to do the job. I had to haul both heads a couple of hundred miles away to a specialty shop that could do the job. When I first talked to them they told me where to look to find cracks. They were right on and I was happy taking the long drive.

The machine ran all right when I was done but I held my breath for quite awhile till it got out of my warranty period. Unless they have changed significantly I would tend to shy away from them.

Good Luck

Dom

I've seen Iveco engines with many hours on them, (+20 000 hours), and I've seen some that didn't make it to 10 000hours. Like most things, its more about maintenance then anything.

Its funny you mention that for the head gasket John C. Whenever we sold head gaskets we would remind the buy to retorque the head after 100 hrs (maybe less) and then the engine was good. I always wondered if it was true, guess it is!

My only experience with Iveco was in Rottne machines, and they were 4 and 6 cylinder turbo. Rottne Canada has engines in stock if you happen to need one.

T_Gunn

Me too,

I've seen 4 cylinder Iveco's in Rottne's go well over 30,000 hours with regular oil changes.

big builder

hey,

i decided against the iveco, not because of the engine .... but the price.

Ended up with a mitsubishi...... had one once in a little machine, three cylinder jobby and it was a good motor.