• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jcb 409 driving issue

Logstomper

Hi, this is my first post here so hopefully it will go well.

I have a jcb 409b around 2002 model from what I recall, was an open cab machine when I got it. Had a bunch of hacked up wiring "fixes" I had one drive function fail late last summer it would only go in reverse... Turned out to be one of the coils on the forward reverse solenoid, along with some wiring issues and connectors. Got that fixed finished out the fall started the winter. I push banks and plow at home and camp and get a few side projects throughout the winter. A few weeks back after making a round around town pushing banks I was nearly back and it seemed to be driving slow... Oil was good etc, I just chalked it up to warm hydraulics. ‍♂️. Didn't do much for a few weeks, then yesterday out at the property my buddy and I pushed all the banks back on every rd opened up the gravel /top soil screening area. We were out for around six hours. He got temporarily immobilized so I went to help, my machine seemed sluggish between forward and reverse. Had to run to the shop to get chains loader went full speed there and back, but between forward and reverse still sluggish. Got my buddy out, went parked loader had a beer and went to bed, had one more stretch of rd to finish this afternoon, same thing sluggish between gears but will still go full speed and will spin the tires when jammed in the bank.

Not sure what to thing, solenoids dirty or sticking or the coils arnt pulling like they should, been going through the manuals I have been seeing things like inching valve, start speed adjuster on the pump, few things I read say maybe unplug the high /low on the drive motor.

Not sure where else to look, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Logstomper

Been thinking and researching for a few weeks now and am figuring it is likely something stuck in the cartridge on the solenoid. Rd to camp is too muddy to get out there without ruining it. I'll report back once I can get out there and figure things out.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Logstomper;)!

It will be interesting to hear what you figure out. I don't know who amongst the group here at HEF are JCB literate but hopefully someone with that experience will be along to help you out.

SmokeyRiver

If the 409 runs the same style hst pump as a 407. Then you need to make sure you are not having an engine performance issue/ make sure you get full rpm. Next make sure your brake pedal is not stuck down causing the inching pedal to d-stroke the travel pump/

Logstomper

It turned out to be dirty in the forward reverse solenoid as expected. In theory I didn't see really a lot of junk in it, only one small spec in I particular. But that's all it takes I guess.

I also have full service and parts manuals thanks for the offer. I had thought I finished this thread out after I repaired it. Must have just been too happy to have it going and got busy using it...

Smokey river from my understanding and the books I have they are all for the most part same machines ish... Hydrostats etc.