• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCT and other cheap Augers, any feedback ?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I see these skid steer augers in a metal crate for sale all around me, 12" & 18" augers, drive unit with QA plate & hoses
for $2k -$2.5k

I asked one for the model number, was told it's the SE-1975
FWIW I really think it the smallest unit, a SE-975

Anyone using one of these ?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I bought one recently... indeed does look to be the smallest model(15gpm).
Only used it once to verify that it works...(I throttled down to use it as it’s 15gpm and my machine is 20)
Haven’t given it a thorough workout yet as the only hole I attempted chewed the 12” auger bit up... but that’s due to the soil here being less soil and mostly rock!

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yes, I borrowed a "Bobcat" branded one for the pole barn crew, I have never run one before.
Drilled 18" holes well, but we hit shale, and I had smoke coming out the hole
it was tough going. The pounding and jumping were intense.
Had to wiggle the bit sideways a wee bit to get it to keep drilling when we hit that undisturbed shale.

I wonder how well these JCT ones hold up ?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
So far the cheap jct auger is holding up ok. ... drilling thru some bad rocky ground i have done less than 50 holes but it will turn a 16” bit and an 8” rock bit just fine.
the bracket where the auger motor mounts to the skidsteer plate has twisted/bent a fair amount... not sure why they used 1/4” plate for one joint and 1/2” plate on the other. ... will be welding that back up soon with something thicker.