• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 544-B

gnarles

Occupation
operator
Hello,
I bought this loader a few months back and had nothing but trouble with it.
I figured it was the cold weather causing most of it,but now that its warm out I 'm having the same problem.
After I finally get the engine to run( that is another topic),It takes forever to get transmission to "engage". Seems like to only way to get it to go is shift from R to L with a lot of throttle. the pressure gauge dips in the low pressure range right after i shift it but picks up to normal range fast. After it does this warm up period the loader acts like it should.
I have search the internet all over and there is very little info out there on this loader. I feel as if the world does not want me to fix this thing.
I have the service manual for it and it really only gives procedures to take things apart and replace and not diagnose.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Diesel Dave

Which type of transmission is fitted? ZF 4WG120 or something else?
Bigbert , It’s a TT2000 series Allison transmission
Gnarles, sounds like the clutch apply pressure is proper and reacting as it should .
Could be a leaking torque converter.
Drain your transmission oil and look for any contamination, dull grey oil colour is generally aluminum indicating converter trouble. Cut the transmission filter apart too, see what’s in the pleats of the filter paper.

gnarles

Occupation
operator
Hello guys
I'm not sure what trans it is my manual talks about 4 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds.
My loader has R,N,L,&H.
My manual is the Technical Manual not Service Manual,which is part of my problem.
Any online source for working on these things? I am not too much of a stranger of the wrench,but I am however new to big heavey stuff,and dont know the "go to"sources of info. By far this is the only websight I have ever gotten good info from.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Drain your transmission oil and look for any contamination, dull grey oil colour is generally aluminum indicating converter trouble. Cut the transmission filter apart too, see what’s in the pleats of the filter paper.
Here's the first thng you want to be doing IMHO. Yes I know this is an engine oil filter but the principle is the same. Also while you're in there, is the oil clear & bright or dark & cloudy.? Does it smell burned.?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I have the service manual for it and it really only gives procedures to take things apart and replace and not diagnose.
If you have the manual for a 544B, Book #TM1094, then the diagnostic section is in the back of the book under system testing. What specific manual do you have?

gnarles

Occupation
operator
Hello Guys
What is in it for oil? At the moment I am not sure. It really looks clean and I have checked level and it is half way between Mark's on the stick cold. I have read it needs to be at full mark cold. Manual says to use JD Torque-Converter fluid typeC-3. It also says not to use JD Hy-Gard Oil in transmission.

gnarles

Occupation
operator
If you have the manual for a 544B, Book #TM1094, then the diagnostic section is in the back of the book under system testing. What specific manual do you have?
That's the manual I have. I am guilty of not looking over it very well. Thank you for steering me right.

gnarles

Occupation
operator
I need to get some filters ordered for this thing and get the right oil.
then I can cut that filter apart and see what it looks like. I'm going to try get ahold of previous owner and see if he changed it recently and if he remembers what oil he used. It really does look clean. Maybe too heavy of an oil. Hmm
Thank you guys for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more stupid questions.

gnarles

Occupation
operator
I have been fixing things and running the loader around the place and it seems to be getting better in many ways. I can start it easy now,the pick up screen was kind of dirty.Changed both air filters.It didn't take forever for the transmission to engage. It seemed like when I would use the clutch brake pedal while warming it up it would engage like normal.Well I finally changed filter and oil in the transmission today and wouldn't you know it. A little pressure on the trans gauge and no go. clutch pedal kind of pulsates. It move a little at first try but then nothing. I had a leak on some external line on the rear of tranny before I drained it. Fixed that leak, filled up trans with j20a and put a new filter in. I'm lost now. Seems like something needs to be bled,but I don't know.Any words of wisdom?TIA

gnarles

Occupation
operator
Mg2361,
Pushed valve in and presto! I got pressure on the gauge and movement. Felt kind of weird though. Brakes where dragging,so back to my manual. Accumulator assist must be working. I had that leaking fitting when I parked the machine for fluid change. Must have triggered the low pressure check valve.
So any way I pumped brakes a few thousand times and pushed the clutch brake valve a few and I'm back in action.
Thank you guys for the help. I need a nudge once in a while. I do have faith in this old machine as I have operated many a lot worse shape than this one. I figure it should suit me for a long time after I get all the bug chases away.