• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD450C parts needed and alternator question

bschrader

I have a 450C, serial 338653. I need a used track chain for one side. My other side needs turning. Anyone know where I might find a track shop near Huntsville AL? Also need used grill AT27687. Mine was great till I took it off one day, moved the dozer and you guessed it, there was an accident.
Also, has anyone here had experience converting the alternator to a GM standard unit. I converted mine to the 3 wire type and it works wonderfully but I need to shorten the belt so I can get the side cover back on. It looks like the alternator will tuck up closer so the cover will go on but I'll need a shorter belt.
Any experience out there on this?
Thanks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

I think I can help with your belt question. If the belt is a standard V type, then position the alternator where you want it to be. Then thread a piece of 3/8" rope around the pulleys and cut or mark it where the ends butt. Take this to a well stocked auto parts store and they can give you the right belt.