• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 110HX Boom lifting trouble?

Skylarka

Bought a JLG 110HX 5768 hours out with remarks of "Boom Encoder need to be repair. Before using the lift..

I can't happen to find what is Boom encoder? What does it do? Repairable or has to be replaced

What price am I looking for Approx?

Ps: Boom wouldn't go above 10 feet high and ground platform doesn't have master key in the switch and its off but the lift moves swing and stuff "what does that do"

Best regards

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Could be a handful of things. Are all axle lock lights showing on? There are 2 switches at the rear of the machine that tell how tilted and spring compressed the turntable is. One electrical and one mechanical. They both have to be activated. Then there is also a boom length cable in the boom that has to be set and checked before operation.

I would recommend getting a manual and learning everything about the machine or getting a qualified mechanic to go over it all with you. If its not right you can very easily turn that machine over.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
Hardline is 100% on the money with the suggestion of getting a qualified (JLG certified) technician to give this a go-over. Records of inspections and work performed on this machine would be helpful as well.
Who wrote that "Boom Encoder needs to be repaired"? A certified technician or some schmuck trying to unload the machine and had to write something that sounded good but hard to verify?

There are a few sensors and circuit boards used to maintain a safety envelope for the machines safe operation.
It is imperative they function properly or the machine WILL tip over.
Again, as Hardline pointed out, a boom length indicator, the Load Management assembly and also a pendulum angle sensor for boom angle monitoring. These sensors communicate with circuit boards located in the Lower Control Box.
These cards are adjustable but ONLY by JLG certified technicians. These are VERY crucial adjustments for the stability of the machine and the life of the operator.
Any attempt to just cobble circuits together or bypass any safety circuit to "just get the thing going" will put the operators life in great danger and also risk the safety and life of other bystanders.

When these things tip over they make one hell of a bloody, painfull and expensive mess.

Having said all that:

Here are the links to the JLG 110HX Service and Parts Manuals if you don't already have them.
Read and understand before making any attempts to operate or diagnose.

Please be Safe

https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManual...0HX/Service_3120636_03-11-10_ANSI_English.pdf

https://csapps.jlg.com/OnlineManual..._110HX/Parts_3120637_7-29-11_ANSI_English.pdf

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to third the thoughts expressed above. 1) have a certified JLG tech do an inspection of the machine, and 2) any repairs that are needed should be done to JLG specs.

I don't know what someone is calling a boom encoder, but if the boom length/angle sensor is either missing, obsolete, or in need of extensive repairs, better hang on to your wallet when you get a quote on a replacement. I priced one a few years ago and it was over 10K.

With all this being said, if you manage to get the machine in proper working order, the 110HX is probably the most simple and yet reliable of all the long boom machines. If it's in proper order, and inspected as recommended by JLG, an operator would pretty much have to be complete imbecile to flip one over.