• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 450AS Series II Starting issue

Pete w

Ladies and gents,
Hope you are all well. And i hope to glean some knowledge from you. Serial# 030070498 Model Year 2003 Duetz engine. I inherited this project, leftover from a previous mechanic. Super long story short this unit has had some engine and electrical problems. All of which i had sorted about a year and a half ago when it was decided to leave the machine parked out in a field...:rolleyes: Well now the owner wants to use the machine again and wouldn't ya know, mice have made a nest inside the platform control box chewing various wires. Ants made a nest inside the drive joystick (new one ordered as well as the boom control stick), chewing wires down inside the handle. An opossum had made its home in the engine bay chewing on wires as well. A headache for sure. Ive got the unit running again and the issue im having is that im only getting 8 volts to the fuel shut off/throttle controller when key on and 9 volts when running. This isnt enough voltage to actuate the solenoid to start the machine, so in order to run i have to remove the solenoid and shut down with a screw driver. Tested solenoid and it works. Looked through the service manual and cant find a schematic showing the wires from, im assuming, the controller to the solenoid. The manual also doesnt specify what the voltage range should be for different throttle percentages. Has any of you knowlegeable people come across this? Is the issue going to be my actual controller? Is there a way to test that theory outside of what i already have done? Currently the functions in the basket dont work given the issues had with pests and new parts are coming, But the ground control functions all work. Im sure i could bypass the controller and run the shut off solenoid from the key switch but would rather it work correctly with the throttle control. Thank ya!

Pete w

Ended up getting my new joysticks installed, Everything is functioning now except for the fuel shut off/throttle control and i still have no steering. When the switch is activated the alram sounds so i know its sending a signal. checked power to the solenoid and its only getting maybe .5 volts. Manual is no help still and im assuming once again that voltage is sent from the controller but have no way of knowing for sure.