• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Job coordination gone wrong

skyking1

I will give it a go. The sticky bits will be the insulation and retaining springs under the hood. Those look to be a pain. One is already loose.
This new hood looks nice. Lots of pre-drilled holes and reinforcements.

skyking1

@Truck Shop , is there any magic to moving that insulation over from the old hood to the new? Do I need it, is there a better product now than the 1990's tech of the mattress spring and batt that it has now?
If a turbo and manifold blanket will cure the problems is that a better idea?

skyking1

OK I won't sweat it if you don't see it bubbling the glass or paint. I don't run it too hard nor do I shut it down hot, so that helps I think.

skyking1

I got the hood off with a forklift. Many of the bolts are breaking so I will have to make a parts run.
@Truck Shop , should I bother with the cold air for the Cat engine? It is going to be a bit of a PITA to get done. I thought it was all screwed and riveted on, but some of it looks bonded too.

skyking1

This only worked because this is a Cat branded ratchet strap :)
PXL_20220427_202525293.jpg

PXL_20220427_202553861.jpg

PXL_20220427_202748713.jpg

I wiggled the bolts out of those single bolt mounts and got away. None of the other bolts would move. After I snapped off a few I gave up and took the hood to the hot wrench.

Once I pulled off the grille, it lost a whole lot of integrity :D
PXL_20220427_183016336~2.jpg

skyking1

I installed the hood right out of the box, I cut away the side I needed and lifted up the pallet and box, and got it bolted up. I had a helper in the forklift seat.
I pulled one of the rubber wedge blocks till I got it close, then put it back on. The donaldson filter housing is a bit tight to the hood, and was with the old hood. There is not too much I can do about that.
i noticed all the used hoods I see have the front lower section cut away, as does the one I took off. I wonder if there is a good reason?
I got it to fit with the hood intact. Just a little grinding on the nose of one frame rail got it clear.
I was impressed with the Jones Performance hood. It had all the clips and they addressed most everything. One nice detail was new headlight adjuster screws, as mine were trashed.
I need to track down some new headlight rings as well as the bumper. It all has to come off to go in the paint booth, but I have a job to do tomorrow. As much of a pain as this was, they did me a favor when they paid for the new hood. The old one had a lot of rust in the lower sheetmetal sections.
PXL_20220428_222803226~2.jpg

That is the old grille but a new surplus chrome steel grille surround. The old one was brushed aluminum stock.
The grille is OK from 20 feet.

59 North

I just noticed the windshield wipers are mounted on top of the cab.
Don't think I ever saw that before on these trucks.
Was it for some special application?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I installed the hood right out of the box, I cut away the side I needed and lifted up the pallet and box, and got it bolted up. I had a helper in the forklift seat.
I pulled one of the rubber wedge blocks till I got it close, then put it back on. The donaldson filter housing is a bit tight to the hood, and was with the old hood. There is not too much I can do about that.
i noticed all the used hoods I see have the front lower section cut away, as does the one I took off. I wonder if there is a good reason?
I got it to fit with the hood intact. Just a little grinding on the nose of one frame rail got it clear.
I was impressed with the Jones Performance hood. It had all the clips and they addressed most everything. One nice detail was new headlight adjuster screws, as mine were trashed.
I need to track down some new headlight rings as well as the bumper. It all has to come off to go in the paint booth, but I have a job to do tomorrow. As much of a pain as this was, they did me a favor when they paid for the new hood. The old one had a lot of rust in the lower sheetmetal sections.
View attachment 258376

That is the old grille but a new surplus chrome steel grille surround. The old one was brushed aluminum stock.
The grille is OK from 20 feet.

I have had two old Ford snowplow trucks. The hood cutaway was there so the hood could be opened most of the way with the front plow mount on. Could only raise them a few inches with the hood complete. If you are not putting a plow on you are probably fine running a full hood.

skyking1

After I got the boom off the 120, the paint shop called, I picked up the freshly painted hood and got it hung back on the truck.
PXL-20220506-212500587.jpg