• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Job Interview

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Local company here cannot get operators for a quarry, tried but none would even take the tests to see if could pass guess was knew they could not. A Weld shop not too far away dropped drug testing, had some major flaw failures erupt where warranty work did cover but one injured a person, when asked of drugs in workplace testing they said did not, lost suit closed forever.

Truck Shop

DM-people keep bringing up or taking about jobs-the need for jobs. How about people that will work. Nobody want's to work, it's stressful, it's tiring, takes stamina, will power, courage, a goal to fill,
wear and tear on skin, face it it's too much like work. Why do it today when I can put it off for a week and maybe by then someone has done it for me.

The object is not to lose weight it's to gain weight, Pass them Taters and butter I've got some work to do.

Raildudes dad

I was friends with a project manager who was constructing a frack sand processing plant. He was tasked with finding plant and equipment operators. 75-80% of the applicants failed the drug test. It wasn't like it was a surprise. He discussed it during the interviews. WTH? This country is going downhill fast. From printing trillions of $$$ to folks either not wanting to work or recreational drug users. I've had several surgeries and the surgeons want to know if your partaking.

Truck Shop

We've had three old drivers that were random checked and all three failed. Ages 63 to 66 one pot the other two alcohol. Now I noticed more random pee tests and they always happen after 34 off.

Old Doug

Maybe it will get so bad that some one will put up with me just working part time. I can only hope.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was like that at the nuke
Take vacation get ‘random’ screen as got back
They hear you had a car accident random
screen next shift
In the garage at East St Louis was only Three of us
I was random screened four weeks in a row the one lone African American mechanic we had was screened once in a year. Did not matter to either of us other guys we did not use anything.
Idiot lineman got a DUI came to work and reported license taken showed ticket. He got sent home, argued that a DUI in his personal car could not affect his CDL both at work and in court.
Lost his job over that.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I was asked to go to work for the local Cat dealer, they said I had to go for a drug test. I told them that was OK, but I only wanted the good stuff.
I have a friend working for a construction company locally. He was complaining about the fact that he was likely one of the few that never did any kind of drug that wasn't prescribed by a doctor. Yet, he was always the one getting the random drug tests. Someone finally told him that he was picked because the company knew he would pass.

Truck Shop

One major problem most all workers have is spending money they don't have. Employers love employees that are up to their eyes in debt. Employees would have much more leverage if they
would stop over spending and work to clear their debt. By doing that the employer has very little strangle hold. If He or She knows your upside down he or she knows who's holding the cards.
Everybody has wants--but is that motorcycle, boat, snowmobile, ski high 4X4 and or that fancy house worth it. Remember it's hard to find a frying pan or stove big enough to cook a harley.

Truck Shop

If a person is carrying only a small or no debt load and if they are pursuing other/different employment they have less stress and make better personal decisions. And will perform better in a
job interview.

Welder Dave

Was like that at the nuke
Take vacation get ‘random’ screen as got back
They hear you had a car accident random
screen next shift
In the garage at East St Louis was only Three of us
I was random screened four weeks in a row the one lone African American mechanic we had was screened once in a year. Did not matter to either of us other guys we did not use anything.
Idiot lineman got a DUI came to work and reported license taken showed ticket. He got sent home, argued that a DUI in his personal car could not affect his CDL both at work and in court.
Lost his job over that.

About a week ago a guy was pulled over in snowy driving conditions going 201KM/H in a 110KM/h zone driving a Honda Civic. Turns out he was class 1 driver. I'd think his truck driving career might be over.

Professional driver caught speeding 201 km/h east of Edmonton in dark, snowy conditions | Globalnews.ca

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If a person is carrying only a small or no debt load and if they are pursuing other/different employment they have less stress and make better personal decisions. And will perform better in a
job interview.

Every boss I had KNEW I was not in a bind or in urgent need of employ when went in for interviews. Some would ask if was still working and always noted had enough to keep busy. Tools paid for up front, was buying housing and fixing up places among other odd work. I could skate a month or two before would need to actually look but nearly always had something aligned long before ever left a place. My after hours work was spotty, would run insane for a few weeks then dry up like a bad piece of firewood last another week or two then resume insanity.

Was really proud of the fact only ever drew ONE UI Check EVER and that was returned as went back to work that same week it arrived.

skyking1

That was not an option doing dirt work. It was the career that chose me, but the dozers and scrapers stop for a while in western Washington every year. I got into the excavators and had longer runs, but even then some jobs are just a wee bit sensitive.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I liked to work when I had a real job and didn't wanna miss time but had no problem with the easy check either.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I liked to work when I had a real job and didn't wanna miss time but had no problem with the easy check either. Back then a drug test was during lunch in the van on the way to the beer store.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In a former life as an expat at the Cat dealer the saying around the company was "Don't pi$$ Nige off - he might leave....."
I always made a point of letting them known that the Mastercard in my back pocket would buy me a ticket to anywhere, that same day if I felt it was necessary.
I got to thinking and the last job interview I ever had was in 1996. Usually all I get is a phone call saying "Congratulations. You're hired."

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I never got a congratulations, you hired call. "It was always when can you start?" The last time I was an employee, I wrote a simple resignation letter that said your fired.

lantraxco

Well, the old cowboys used to say "I gave my notice when I hired on." pretty well sums it up, lol.