• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

job

Dave

Charter Member
I really want to get a job operating any kind of heavy equipment. I am 22 yrs old and have no experience but im a quick learner. I applied numerous places but no luck. any suggestions

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!

If you go back to your user cp or profile and add your location, maybe someone local to you can give you some specific info.

In general, though, I'd apply to a smaller excavating company as a laborer, but make sure yopu let the owner know of your interest in becoming an operator. At many smaller non-union companies, the employee is often expected to cover all the bases, and fill in where he's needed. This is how I got my exposure.

Good luck!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Dave, first, Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums! Now that you're a member, I'm sure all you'll have to do is add that information to your resume and employers will be calling you asking when you can start! (Well...ok, maybe that's a little optimistic...) ;)

The best advice I can give you is to look for a job as a laborer first. I'm not sure there are very many operators anywhere that have been hired off the street and put directly into the operator's seat. On the other hand, there are lots of contractors who'd love to hire a hardworking, smart, 22 year old, who has career ambitions in the industry. As far as being a quick learner, and I don't mean this to be sarcastic, *everybody* who's ever applied for a job they had no experience at, has said they're a quick learner. That's something you'll have to prove to an employer, in an "entry level position", like laborer. Besides which, the experience you get as a laborer makes you a better operator.

I was lucky--my father had a job as Borough Manager of a relatively small town. The town had a Water, and Street Department, I worked there during one summer vacation from college. I labored (a lot!), but he also made sure that his guys showed me how to run their backhoe, and grader, and drive the big truck. I also cut grass in the park and got to run roller when they paved. If I'd been hired off the street I may not have gotten all those various opportunities in one summer, but when I quit school the next spring, I had to go out and get a job on my own. I got one, as a laborer...

What I said at the top of this post was only partly in jest. By taking opportunities to learn about the industry like the one this site hopes to offer (more good stuff getting posted here every day) you'll help to make yourself stand out from the rest of the crowd who want to be operators too.

Disclaimer: The above is based solely on my own experience. Someone else may have a slightly, or completely different point of view. To hear that point of view is what this site's for...
:)

dozerman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner operator excavation
Laborer with a small outfit is the way to go.
Watch the experienced operators and learn.
Be strong, quiet, smart, and think ahead.
Show up on time, dependability is big in the small company.

Watch what you wish for.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Dave,
These fellow members are giving you real good advise. This is how I started in the industry. I was hired as a laborer and watched all I could and did my job. It has been ten years and I still learn something most everyday while working.