• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310SJ Slow or No Park Brake release at idle

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Symptom was park brake slow to release or does not release at engine idle (Trans oil level good, always the first thing to check with this complaint). Found the transmission filter had come apart internally and pieces got stuck in the transmission pressure relief valve creating low pressure at idle (130 psi) but good pressure at 2000 rpm (300 psi). From the debris in the filter picture I discovered this was not the first filter to have failed on this machine. The big pieces came out of the pressure test port. If you own or work on any JD 310SJ's, SK'S or SL's, make sure you use the updated transmission oil filter AT466863 (white in color) and not the original filter AT179323 (black in color) or your machine could end up like the pictures. Trans filter.JPG Debris in Relief Valve on the right.JPG Transmission.JPG

Last edited:

Vetech63

Nice work MG. Are the black filters of poor design or manufacturing? …….and would this be a concern with these black filters on other makes that have the ZF transmissions?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Are the black filters of poor design or manufacturing?

No. That filter was used on the G's through the early L's. It was fine on the G's because that transmission runs at a lower pressure (230 psi) than the J's, K's and L's (305 psi). They discovered along the way that the black filter was not holding up to the higher pressure so then they came out with the heavy duty filter (white one).
If you walk into a JD parts dept and ask them to look up a filter for you they should be handing you the white filter since the black one subs to it. However if someone uses their operator's manual and makes a parts list and walks in and asks for the filters on his list he might get the black one because some dealers may have not exhausted their stock and of course want to get rid of them. They will still work fine on the G/SG.
I guess it could be of concern on other makes with ZF transmissions if they run at the higher pressure (or have the same model trans as the Deere).

Canadian_digger

I think this might have happen to my 310SL! The other morning it did not want to move. It was cold out and they are sluggish when cold. But this time more than normal. If I pull the filter will it be obvious if it came apart?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If you drain the filter and look inside to the bottom you might see the bypass to see if it came apart. If it did not then you will have to cut the filter open to look at the part of the filter which is directly under the filter threads. Either end of that black filter can come apart.

JL Sargent

Wow, at the clutch packs! Twice as many as my 310E. MG, As you know I will eventually have to spit my transmission. Can the front half of the trans and the bell housing be pulled together? I'm scared to ream a new bushing. Can I can just keep those together and not need to do that?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes, the converter housing (less converter) can stay on the transmission half and they can be lifted off the transmission back half as an assembly (just like the attached picture).

Attachments

• 310E Converter housing side split.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Works like a champ now that there is no debris stuck in the relief valve and now have 267 psi at the park brake at idle and 298 at 2000 rpm.

PB PRESSURE AT 900 RPM_150 DEG F.JPG
PB PRESSURE AT 2000 RPM_150 DEG F.JPG

Canadian_digger

F9637025-1E6E-4FAC-9C2B-85D7E7D1DAA1.jpeg Changed 3 filters today. Two on 310SJ and one on a 310SL. The one on the SL was broken as you can see in the picture. The bypass was still intact. I believe all the broken pieces where still in the filter.
Should I be concerned? Should I just run it? Change the oil and run it. Or something else? 735hrs since I last changed the trans oil.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Looks like all your pieces are there. Does your park brake light go out within 5 seconds when you turn your park brake off? Do you have park brake codes? If the light goes out within 5 seconds and you have no PB codes then you are probably OK. To be sure you need to check the park brake pressure at idle. The best way to do that is to plug a gauge into the port where the park brake pressure switch is located on top of the park brake housing on the front top of the rear axle.

Canadian_digger

Looks like all your pieces are there. Does your park brake light go out within 5 seconds when you turn your park brake off? Do you have park brake codes? If the light goes out within 5 seconds and you have no PB codes then you are probably OK. To be sure you need to check the park brake pressure at idle. The best way to do that is to plug a gauge into the port where the park brake pressure switch is located on top of the park brake housing on the front top of the rear axle.

No codes. Will test to see how long it takes for the light to go off.

Thanks for sharing. It’s stuff like this that makes this site as great as it is.

Ricardo Cotte

No. That filter was used on the G's through the early L's. It was fine on the G's because that transmission runs at a lower pressure (230 psi) than the J's, K's and L's (305 psi). They discovered along the way that the black filter was not holding up to the higher pressure so then they came out with the heavy duty filter (white one).
If you walk into a JD parts dept and ask them to look up a filter for you they should be handing you the white filter since the black one subs to it. However if someone uses their operator's manual and makes a parts list and walks in and asks for the filters on his list he might get the black one because some dealers may have not exhausted their stock and of course want to get rid of them. They will still work fine on the G/SG.
I guess it could be of concern on other makes with ZF transmissions if they run at the higher pressure (or have the same model trans as the Deere).
Hello mg. Per your account I could then discard a Fleetguard HF6316 I have at hand out of abundance of caution?

Attachments

• 17129320015765161826586947758297.jpg
    17129320015765161826586947758297.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 0

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I could then discard a Fleetguard HF6316
Don't know. It depends on the specifications of that filter. Then I would compare it to the Deere filter. The white Deere filter is a ZF labeled filter. I don't have the ZF's specs for comparison handy.

Ricardo Cotte

I did send a request to Fleetguard Tech Support to find out about the max operating pressure specs. Will see and comment later.
Yes, I installed one last time I dealt with this issue and it is white and has the ZF logo.

Fleetguard only lists the BPV opening value.

Thanks always for your kind help.

Attachments

• Product Specification - HF6316.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Ricardo Cotte

I received the attached specs from Fleetguard a while ago. Still asked them if this filter would compare to the AT466863 in terms of operating pressure. See the second attachment.

Attachments

• HF6316.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 4