• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 35D Swing Motor Rebuild

aardquark

As the title suggests, I am in the middle of a rebuild of the swing motor. Everything looks in good order, I'm just planning on a good cleaning an reassemble with new O-rings. But I have a question about the lowest bearing, which runs outside of the hydraulic fluid envelope. It looks like there is a screw in port for that area, but no grease fitting. I'm inclined to just pack that bearing with wheel bearing grease, and am looking for advice, comments, etc.IMG_20240524_124858546.jpg

aardquark

A Deere 690E excavator has a similar swing drive setup with the swing pinion bearings are outside the hydraulic fluid envelope. The 690E manual calls for lithium grease which is basically what wheel bearing grease is.
Thanks, Dave. Since the pinion turns at a fairly low speed, that will probably last a long time (until the oil seal starts to fail and the hydraulic fluid starts to wash it out).