• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 650G Transmission rebuild cost

drillrigdoc

Hey guys, Will here. I generally look at the Forrestry equipment on here, but I have a family member with a dozer issue. To spare the details , it is a JD 650G 1997 model S/N TO650GH834305. It has a failed transmission. He was quoted $9500 U.S.D. to rebuild it, with around 7k being just parts. I am just a marine diesel guy but that seems a bit steep. I appreciate any feedback, happy Memorial day everybody!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sounds about right. Actually, I would think in Oregon, it would be a little higher. Who quoted it? A dealer or and independent? Has the unit been disassembled and inspected so an accurate quote can be made? $2500 for labor sounds a little light as well. What is their labor rate?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
That probably isn't high. I was $8,000 into my 450G a year or two ago, but that was a friend working with me. If the 9500 is all new drive and brake clutches it sounds about right. If the guy rebuilding it is good the price will go up for all the miscellaneous stuff found once things get pulled apart.

Finding parts for that era can start getting tricky, but maybe supply chain issues have smoothed out since I did mine.

Diesel Dave

Has the unit been disassembled and inspected so an accurate quote can be made? $2500 for labor sounds a little light as well. What is their labor rate?
I agree with mg, labor is light .
Back in the early 90’s ,on a G dozer transmission thrust washer improvement program Deere warranty IIRC paid us 24 hours. A retail number would be closer to 40 hours .

Last edited: