• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 824J 12.5 Powertech injectors

3rdgendslmech

Hey guys without getting into dealer service tools or laptops, is there a way to check to see if EUIs are getting voltage when running, or when trying to start with a regular multimeter?

What happened in my case was we had a 824 go down back in Dec. Operator came in one morning and it wouldnt start. One mechanic spent all day trying to get it going with no luck. Would barely fire on hits of either. I took over the job and found that it was sucking air back in through the turbo outlet. Was missing about 4 gallons of antifreeze and sounded like the motor had a "dead spot" when it was cranking. Pulled the head and found 2 cylinders looking like they were eating water and a few of the valve seats wouldn't hold solvent.
We pulled a motor out of another loader that we decided wasnt worth fixing due to bad bores and a trashed axle. Swapped them out and once I had everything together it fired right up! It sat in the shop for another 4-5 days while i finished putting the platforms and everything else to it and started just fine. Even had to leave work early on a friday for an emergency and it sat all weekend with the power switch on and still started. Then I parked it outside and the next day it wouldnt fire up. Cranked and cranked and cranked but never even acted like it wanted to fire off.

Spent about 3 days trying to figure out weather or not a hard part had failed, made sure the ecm was getting voltage, wires to the injectors were good and came up with NOTHING. No codes no nothing! Good fuel pressure while cranking, no air in the system.....I was up against the ropes. Now I had tried to crank it up while the injector harness on the back of the head was unplugged and it never threw any codes for injectors, which is odd because John Deere loaders are pretty good about telling you what sensor, and what wire is where the problem is. So today I hooked my meter to an injector ground from the engine harness and started trying to check the injector voltage to see if maybe the solenoids were even turning on. Then I noticed I was getting injector codes on the monitor. I plugged the harness back into the injectors and I could hear one firing......then another acted like it started to fire.....then after about 5 minutes it fired up and ran fine!

Shocked......and stumped.....I grabbed all over the harness tugging and pulling and moving things around and it never changed the way the motor was running. What I did find was 2-3 wires on the back of the injector harness where it turns down to go up under the hyd. tank had the insulation broken on them, so I ordered a new harness. I'm not convinced the harness is the problem but where I work bare wires wont last long at all before they green out ( Salt Terminal) .
I know John Deere sells a service tool that's basically a jumper harness with 6 toggle switches so you can manually kill injectors. Is there a way you can check to see if the injectors are firing or turning on with a multimeter????

mante

hi,
By multimeter ... I don't think so but if you have a modification harness like T harness probably you will get it.
if you want to hear the knocking when you start your engine go with this tool
53900_1.jpg

Engine Diagnostic Stethoscope Tool

Wes J

I don't know that engine specifically, but a noid light is the typical tool for testing injector signals.

partsandservice

Taking the engine swap out of the equation, just going on intermittent no start condition in common rail fuel system. A leaking injector will cause a no start. Remove the return line from head and crank engine, basically no fuel should be coming out of the head. Rail pressure relief sticking open. Remove the line from the rail relief, crank engine , no fuel should come out of the relief at all, even a drip. Neither condition will code.