• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JOHN DEERE 850 J wlt TO850JX157855 HYDRAULIC ISSUES

RPRZEN

Occupation
OILFIELD, CONSTRUCTION, RANCH EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN
HELLO ALL,
I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A JOHN DEERE 850J DOZER. THE HYDRAULICS LOOSE PRESSURE WHEN LIFTING THE BLADE TO FULL STOP AT OR ABOVE 50% THROTTLE. ONCE THAT HAPPENS IT WILL LOWER BLADE VERY SLOWLY AND NOT LIFT AT ALL. IT IS LIKE THE PUMP OR CONTROL PRESSURE IS DERATED FOR SYSTEM PROTECTION. IF THE ENGINE IS SHUT OFF THEN RESTARTED IT IS BACK TO NORMAL HYDRAULIC SYSTEM PRESSURES UNTIL THE CYLINDERS REACH END OF TRAVEL. DOES NOT DO IT BELOW 50% THROTTLE ONLY AT 50% AND ABOVE. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY 0 SERVICE INFORMATION ON JOHN DEERE EQUIPMENT. I DID DO A GOOD LOOK OVER OF THE MANIFOLDS AND PRESSURE XMITTERS. I DID FIND ONE PRESSURE XMITTER RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAB JACK THAT HAD A BROKE WIRE AT THE DUETSH 3 PIN CONNECTOR. I HAVE A CAT DUETSH CONNECTOR KIT AND I BUILT A NEW CONNECTOR PIG TAIL AND REPLACED THE DAMAGED ONE USING CRIMP N SEAL BUT SPLICE CONNECTORS. BUT OBVIOUSLY IT DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. ANY ADVISE OR SERVICE INFORMATION ON THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
All functions or just the blade lift function? Either way I would be checking pilot pressure, load sense differential pressure and the system pressure. I highly recommend you acquire the Operation and Test manual TM1730.

Last edited:

RPRZEN

Occupation
it is all functions excluding the Hydro. told customer no money in it for me. manuals total over $500. EDL tool $2300. service advisor $500. no thanks. will stick with the CAT equipment..

Vetech63

it is all functions excluding the Hydro. told customer no money in it for me. manuals total over $500. EDL tool $2300. service advisor $500. no thanks. will stick with the CAT equipment..
Professional troubleshooting skills that are passed to people like yourself are free. You gave in too easily before you even got started.

RPRZEN

Occupation
not going to spend a ton to make a negative profit. it is economics pure and simple. i never give up and you dont know me well enough to make that statement. good evening..

Vetech63

not going to spend a ton to make a negative profit. it is economics pure and simple. i never give up and you dont know me well enough to make that statement. good evening..
I think your missing the point. MG is a 30+ year professional Deere company man and has helped more people like yourself repair equipment on here without having to buy any tools most of the time. I believe had you stuck with this thread longer his experience could have greatly improved your knowledge. I myself have been doing this for 38 years SELF EMPLOYED for 30 of those. Sorry to say but by your actions you don’t have a lot of experience if you turn away work that easily.

RPRZEN

Occupation
hey bud. geez give me a break! enough already!!! i know there is value in this forum and respect the hell out of mg im sure his experience is bar none. but i dont want to waste the mans time. im not a quitter like you are implying. the customer has already had this thing torn to hell and back by shade tree mechanics. it is a total wreck wiring hanging out everywhere. im not touching it with a ten foot pole. the other day i went out there and made an honest although limited attempt to look for the obvious. found a pressure xmitter with wire broke at the duetsch connector. i replaced it with a new one professionally installed. it did not fix it. no biggie. upon doing some searches john deere has a pretty good handle on information and diagnostics software and hardware to the point that it is very expensive to get into. considering the current state of the machine and the expenses involved on my end and the fact that it is not like there is a fleet of them to justify the investment, i will not bother. now lets be really realistic. it is not realistic to do real time troubleshooting via a discussion forum when time is money. is it? so please!!! let me be. thanks and have a good day!!!

RPRZEN

Occupation
I think your missing the point. MG is a 30+ year professional Deere company man and has helped more people like yourself repair equipment on here without having to buy any tools most of the time. I believe had you stuck with this thread longer his experience could have greatly improved your knowledge. I myself have been doing this for 38 years SELF EMPLOYED for 30 of those. Sorry to say but by your actions you don’t have a lot of experience if you turn away work that easily.
BTW 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN ALL SORTS OF EQUIPMENT REPAIRS NOT JUST CAT, OR JOHN DEERE. IVE FORGOTTEN MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW....

steve waldner

Perfect time to hijack this forum , what year did Deere split serial number on 850j and start the series 2? Thanks guys

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
what year did Deere split serial number on 850j and start the series 2?

If the serial has a letter C or D before the last six digits it is a series II machine. The letter before that would be the year of manufacture. Do you have a serial number?