• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 85D

05rammer

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this machine, good or bad? I was wanting to get a 60d but the rep from Fecon said it wasn't big enough to run there small excavator mulcher. I would also use it to dig ditch for septic tanks and grading. Any advice would be appreciated.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I have run the 50D and found it a really nice machine, but being 220lbs I found it a little difficult to squeeze through the cab door. lol :tong

barklee

I really wanted a 85d. Shopped and shopped and couldnt find one for the budget i set. Demoed one twice they are nice and i cant say anything bad at all. In the end i bought a Tak TB180. After fixing the abuse from the previous owner it has worked out very well. It does everything as good as the Deere and i paid about half of what the deere dealers wanted for a comperable machine. I just couldnt justify the cost, we dont use it enough. You should try one out and i think you will agree

05rammer

Thanks for the info. I was going to try one out sometime, but wanted to find out other peoples opion on it before I got sold on it, just in case it had some issues that I didn't know about.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I have never run one, but tried to rent one a couple of weeks ago. It seems all the excavators around here are all rented out including the used ones dealers have for sale. Ended up with a Takuchi 153, a bit smaller but OK but no where near a Cat 308 or Deere 85.

But I have run a Cat 308D for a month and I really liked that excavator. In fact I am still looking for a good used one to buy. Or a Deere 75 or 85D if its a good price, since I don't have any problem with Deere equipment as we own a few.

The Cat 308 and Deere 85 are the same size.

Timark80

mulcher head on a deere

Went to Tallahassee Deere dealership 6 months ago and they said 120 was the smallest excavator for mounting a mulcher head of any type.
They said 75 or 85 did not offer high flow.

I'm thinking maybe Kubota kx080.

05rammer

The Fecon rep told me that 7 ton or bigger and the 85d weighs 8.5 tons. I also read the brochure the said thry have an optional high flow also.

Timark80

After I got home that day I looked up the specs and realized the salesman did not know the hyd flow, or wanted me to buy the 120 because they had one on the lot.
Just doing a little research that day hoping the mulching biz would eventually pick up.
I would definitely consider a 75 or 85 for mulching.