• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Joined to get support for our 850 Case crawler with 6 way blade

carcat

We bought my dad's 1967 Case 850 crawler, and have been gradually bringing her back after being idle for last 20 yrs. Had 2 cylinders rebuilt, washed out fuel tank, changed 2 of the 3 fuel filters (going to run a few hours and change them again before tackling the 3rd one), pulled the valve body assembly out and replaced the o-rings and seals, fuel pressure now runs 20# under load, 3# at idle (should? improve with more filter changes), replaced a bunch of hoses. Worked her yesterday pulling dead trees out of the fence row, went back to it today. I noticed a milky gray-green puddle when husband pulled forward, put finger in it---oily. Ran a few minutes more, trailing fluid, so headed back to shop. Stopped moving about 100 yds short. No blown hoses visible, so pulled the deck plates and seat. Looks like the transmission is now dry---nothing on the dipstick. Our guess is my dad will say, "Oh, we just kept adding fluid while running it digging pits." So, first we need to put fluid in so we can get it to the shop, then power wash the !!!! out of it so we can see leaks. No leaks at the converter, thank goodness. Can we get some ideas on direction on this? Sorry for the long post....

carcat

Thanks for the encouraging words. May take a bit for those photos; I'm more hardware than software! My dad did have manuals for her, so that helps. He also claimed, "It had meticulous maintenance." Yeah, dad, right.... He laughed and looked sideways at me while saying that....

TCat

Thanks for the encouraging words. May take a bit for those photos; I'm more hardware than software! My dad did have manuals for her, so that helps. He also claimed, "It had meticulous maintenance." Yeah, dad, right.... He laughed and looked sideways at me while saying that....
"Meticulous maintenance" as he laughed and looked sideways at you. Now you're making me laugh. That's funny.

carcat

He can still come up with some doozies. He has stories about when he was running the Case to make your hair curl!

carcat

Can everyone here agree a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold? For those repairs beyond our capabilities, we found a mechanic who rebuilt 2 cylinders, including having to open one up to put a different style wiper in, which made machining it necessary. Both done for 560.00, and his shop is less than 40 miles away. He'll be getting the track cylinder down the road. Oh, and no leaks!

carcat

Ok, I did a new post on our progress with 'Callie' and the transmission leak, not knowing I should've posted HERE. Anyway, after putting in 3 gal.of fluid, got her a lot closer to the shop. Yesterday, we put in 1 1/2 gal more fluid, fired her up, and watched the hoses under the seat. Upside-down fountain! One hose split at the fitting, so we ordered 6 hoses and fittings, at 100.00. Told husband if it has paint on it, replace it! Will need to pull the valve assembly and replace some seals, also, It'll take some cussing, as you have to stand on your head and reach way down to get to the fittings, but we aren't getting any younger, so do it now! We'll address the leaking coupler on the blade for the 6-way mod, also. I figure the old girl had leaks since day one out of the factory---the pressures, numerous couplings, etc. This Case is a heckuva lot easier to work on than my dad's Country Clipper mower---what a Rube Goldberg nightmare! Six levers, twelve springs, and ??? to do one simple operation (what other mower tells you to have someone stand on the back of the mower while you lift the deck?)

carcat

Replaced 4 transmission hoses and no leaks! Checked dipstick, showed half way up to full mark. Pushed trees into pile for about half an hour, checked again---no fluid showing. We'd put 3 gallons of fluid in earlier. now to put 3 more in. Probably needed to refill charge pump first? Valve assembly that got new seals and orings shows a couple drips, may be pulling it again later. Have diesel dripping off the bottom of the tank, new seal was put on drain plug, but need to check everything again. I figure these rigs had leaks from day one, with all the hoses and fittings there are.

skyking1

I suggest you don't toss hoses at it based on how they look. Go looking for leaks using brake clean or something else that can get all the oil off. It gets really expensive if you're just doing it by appearance.

carcat

One hose had already split and was spraying underneath, the other one was frayed and broke off while removing it. The hoses we replaced had both orange and yellow paint on them and were checked and crazed. Two of the hoses had been replaced 25? years ago, and still looked good. They're protected under the seat from sun, but not from exposure to diesel or fluid drips. The 6 hoses and fittings were $100.00, so not too bad. We pressure washed them all to check which ones were leaking, and the washer didn't damage them beyond what they were already.