• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Joy Industrial Air Compressor

Dieselguy55

Occupation
Amateur Diesel Mechanic
Hi everyone! This is my 1st time posting on this forum. Hopefully I can get some help. I am working on a Joy D18504 Bumper Pull Industrial Air Compressor. This thing is super old and I am wondering where would I get parts for this? I doubt my local Napa can help because I have no part numbers. Does anyone on here have a compressor similar to this and knows where I could get parts for it? My 2nd question, this picture I attached to my post is not my compressor but its similar. What I have circled in black, there is a rod that pushes in and out on the compressor intake that controls the throttle on the engine that drives the compressor. When the compressor shuts off, the air that is still in the system pushes a lot of oil from the compressor out of that hole where the rod is and makes a big mess! I tore it apart and there is no seal or anything that seals it. How the heck am I suppose to fix this oil leak if there isn't a seal in it? There's no way it should be pushing oil up in the compressor intake to begin with. I thought about chaning the pop off valve 1st and see what happens. Maybe after the compressor is shut off, the pop off valve isnt releasing all the air still stuck in the system fast enough and it has no where to go but into the intake? If anyone has any experience with this kind of air compressor and can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much! :)

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
This is not for your compressor but may be of help with theory:

https://best-aire.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/TA-020-TA-025-User-Manual-Parts-List.pdf

Joy manufacturing has been gone many years now so parts are going to be difficult to source but if the compressor is making air, the rest can be addressed easily in comparison to something that is just worn out or busted.

If you have air in the intake after the pressure switch is satisfied either the blow down valve, or a line check valve is not functioning as the intake air valve should close, and the blown down valve should purge the intake air stream of pressure allowing the compressor to still turn but not make air pressure.

Try these guys for help at aircompressorsdirect.com, and midwestairparts.com

joestewart

I know I'm jumping into this conversation kind of late. But I used to own a Joy D100S air compressor. I scanned the operators manual and the parts manual. Both of those manuals include the 185 model (your model, I think). Go to this link and scroll down to the Joy manuals and download away. Good luck.

Dieselguy55

Occupation
Amateur Diesel Mechanic
Thank you guys for your help! I did a few things to help slow the oil leak down by a lot and the customer is happy now. Thanks again! :)

Sk187

I know I'm jumping into this conversation kind of late. But I used to own a Joy D100S air compressor. I scanned the operators manual and the parts manual. Both of those manuals include the 185 model (your model, I think). Go to this link and scroll down to the Joy manuals and download away. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this!

I have been looking forever for the manuals.