• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
OiH I did not see that at Conex this year. That's pretty damn slick.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The guy might as well just wear a Tux to work . . . how do you get anything done with something that snazzy?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
There’s nothing wrong with taking pride in your ride! Summit truck bodies built a cool old 73? International service truck with a hellcat hemi a few years back for con expo. Last I knew it was still for sale. It’s cool but not at all practical.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It’s been a busy summer. Between my 5 or 6 main customers I don’t have any trouble staying busy. Steel plant calls me out a couple times a week, it’s always some oddball $hit there. Yesterday is was their yard dog again, brakes wouldn’t release after you stepped on the pedal. I figured QR valve, swapped it and it still wasn’t right. Got to looking at things and they had the line for the service brakes plumbed to a supply port on the foot valve, swapped it to delivery and all was well. How it worked as long as it did I’ll never know.

Biggest project of late is a D65 Komatsu that slowly overheats. Ran the normal tests and narrowed it down to the fan not turning fast enough. A little back and forth with Vetech and DMiller plus a hydraulic flow test condemned the pump…..which is not exactly easy to get at. Pull the hood, rops, cab and floor plate to get at it. Clean out several 5 gallon buckets worth of dirt, lots of air and brake clean to get it where I can work on it.

I got the pump swapped today and the floor plate back on. I can test run it like that and once I’m happy with it I’ll put the rest of it back together.

I need a crane!

Shoutout to Vetech and DMiller for their help and Vetech for the use of his flow meter, mine needs some work. The valve to create a restriction wouldn’t do what it’s supposed to so I couldn’t check flow under load.

IMG_1086.jpegIMG_1087.jpegIMG_1110.jpegIMG_1111.jpeg

Welder Dave

That looks like it would be a nightmare if you had to replace a hose or 2. It's amazing how much dirt gets inside of machines. Although outside looks like a nice place to be working on it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yes certain hoses would be a royal pain. There are removable panels but I’m not sure you can get the seat out with the cab on lol. Thankfully it’s a shady spot. It’s been over 100 the last two days with heat index around 110-115. I start at daylight and try to quit before the heat of the day.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Those seats will come out but they weigh 4 metric tons and it is tight. This heat is something else. Even the locals are complaining. I’ve been trying to be done with any heavy lifting by 2 pm or so.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I made it to 4:00 today and I was beat. Yes those seats are crazy heavy. I don’t recall what I had to wrestle one out of not long ago but I just about lost my cool lol.

crane operator

Those seats will come out but they weigh 4 metric tons and it is tight. This heat is something else. Even the locals are complaining. I’ve been trying to be done with any heavy lifting by 2 pm or so.
Yeah- move from Maine to texas and you knew you were in for it. I’m blaming the heat on you

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
1*FYzFP6uTgAGNt2vYvm691w.jpeg

5eb755eff20259b0efb714d53b716b66--quotes-pics-notable.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My knowledge is Aged, Antique and often Obsolete yet I remember the least little pitiful small inconceivable issue that tends to take DAYS to find, Both Hands on, and in My greatly deficient mental capacity!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Murphy got me yesterday. Fired it up, ran it for a bit and a hose unrelated to the work I did sprouted a leak. It’s a very brittle original to the machine hose. Worst part is the back belly pan had to come down. So it was not finished yesterday. I got that hose off and called it a day early enough to get it made and turn in the pump core. Was going to work today but woke up and decided I need a break.

The first part of my day was a quick brake shoe swap on the roll off truck, he lost a spring and the shoe was just riding on the drum. After that ran to a D51 owned by the same guy with the D65 to get the condensate drain tubes opened back up. He has called saying every time he went up or down a hill water was running out on the floor lol.