• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
A few pictures from work. Year old magnum 305 pulling a scraper pulled down off the pile and broke in two!
e4943fcca458098c215ad36d07d48b24.jpg
3ed1c3ad810bbee19b1c12d305ed739e.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
A couple more. We unhooked the loaded pan and built plates for the frame. Then I pulled out the driveline that separated, fixed a couple bad splines, put it back in so we could start it and release the brakes and drag it onto the lowbed
307a8b45d8a6e57de85cad342da474ee.jpg
63c68b3b79c584b01b03685ecdeb1f4e.jpg
02761bda0ed91f0214d14637c5f3abcd.jpg

mitch504

I am betting that warrenty means nothing in this Case.

Oooh, bad pun. Don't try to deny it, you capitalized "Case".

A farmer near here had a brand new Magnum, less than 100 hrs on it. He found a little soft spot and buried it above the hubs. They brought in a mid-sized hoe and hooked to the front end, when they pulled on it, they broke it in half just like that, except that they pulled it into 2 pieces.

It went back to the dealer, who said there would be no help from them or CNH. He involved a lawyer, and 2 weeks later, he had a brand new one, one size larger. I'll have to ask if CNH helped, his insurance ate it, or he did.

FSERVICE

I saw the exact same thing in south Dakota on the farm I pheasant hunt on this fall... pulling a air seeder when it happened.. the owner has went "GREEN" again!!! I hadn't saw/heard of any problems then, but round here its mainly green machines a few blue.. he told me it just wasn't his tractor he has saw this same break in at least 4 tractors on other farms since..( none completely broke in two but getting ready to) stay on them they know there is a problem;) please keep us updated

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I have pictures of one going through Austin and it was parked side ways on the trailer. Rear axle in front and front in the rear. Apparently you are not the first to have this happen.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Oooh, bad pun. Don't try to deny it, you capitalized "Case".

I admit it, pun was intended. I could not resist. The only John Deere I ever seen broken was a small by todays standards, articulated 4 wheel drive in ND in the late seventies or early eighties. A tornado rolled it and the large cultivator attached to it about 75 yards and broke a rear axle housing losing one tire and wheel. My ex of 20 years ago has pictures I took of it, but they are no longer available for my viewing pleasure.

mitch504

A farmer near here had a brand new Magnum, less than 100 hrs on it. He found a little soft spot and buried it above the hubs. They brought in a mid-sized hoe and hooked to the front end, when they pulled on it, they broke it in half just like that, except that they pulled it into 2 pieces.

It went back to the dealer, who said there would be no help from them or CNH. He involved a lawyer, and 2 weeks later, he had a brand new one, one size larger. I'll have to ask if CNH helped, his insurance ate it, or he did.

Quick update, his insurance totaled the few month old tractor and paid for it, CNH did nothing, he went back to the same dealer and got another one. I believe that if it'd been me, I'da bought a Deere.

Mike L

Occupation
Here's a couple pics from a while back. Had to change the belt for bull rock on our screen. Normally I would hook the new belt to the old belt where It splices together but it was a one piece belt. A little south Texas engineering saved me a lot of sweat

429ed69594453caa67eb7122381c74c9.jpg

ca5465ca1c7c75a1d0d77a9aaf1f2292.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
Red Green would even be proud of that duct tape job. Looks like it made the job a bit easier.

I'll take that as a compliment. The operator and I had a good laugh when I pulled out the duct tape but it worked really well. Hey if the ladies don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy !

ScottAR

I wonder if the front duals had something to do with that... Seems like the 4-5 of these I've seen they were the higher hp tractors in the line with front duals.

Just thinking out loud...

Mike L

Occupation
They sent the tractor back to the dealership. The last I heard the bill was at 25k and counting

Mike L

Occupation
Here's a couple pics from an idler wheel I did a while back
ffe42879f8de5ae6ab6d41e44a698b83.jpg
3375f5f52fe518d039fb7c82f75c46dc.jpg
f6312ffb0a1234b64fd070d537348563.jpg

Mike L

Occupation
they stopped making 305s in 2011, so don't see how it can only be a year old

not sure. I assumed it was new. the owners have only had it a year and its got less than 2000 hours on it. maybe they bought it with super low hours.:beatsme