• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just preference?

rockfarm

question. I've been talking to a few people about what to invest in. In your opinion what is better; a motor scraper or a pull type? Keep in mind that I have many other uses for the tractor I'd use to pull it with. Any inputs?

mekon

If you have uses for a large tractor then get a pull pan and proper tractor.That should be the best use of your money.

Questionable wizard

Keep in mind, the hitch on the back of a scraper tractor is fairly unique to scrapers due to the extreme downward force on the back of the tractor. Switching out this hitch for a regular drawbar to pull other implements is a major undertaking.
99.9% of scraper tractors rarely get unhitched from the pans for a reason. If they get unhitched, it's because they are being moved, or something is broke.

Tractors and pull pans shine in large open areas. Fill the bowl with a thin ribbon. Most tractor manufacturers want the cut speed 4.5mph or faster to limit driveline damage. They also de-rate the engines in the lower gears. Pull pans in clay tend to suck themselves in as they fill squatting the tractor tires. They require very close operator attention to adjust the cut depth to keep from stalling the tractor. Scraper tractors have a very tough life compared to ag tractors. By 5000-7000 hours, they are whipped. Auctioned off to a small time operator, or parted out.

Motor scrapers are designed to cut at 1-4mph. Then run to the fill. The steel belted tires don't squat nearly as bad when filling the machine causing a change in cut depth. Deep hog cuts can be the norm. Especially if they're being push loaded by a dozer. They also turn around in small jobs better. Motor scrapers are capable of getting rebuilt many times. Not uncommon to find ones with 15,000-30,000 frame hours and higher. This tells how they're built.

Shimmy1

Meh, don't be afraid of a pull scraper. Get a Deere or an Ashland. The Ashland drawbar is a quick-tach, and has an adapter to pull regular implement. You can get an Ashland-type yoke assembly to put on a Deere scraper as well.

I run Deere 1810E pans behind Cat 95E tractors. I have 3. Before these, I put 5000 hours on a 75C that had pulled pans for the first 4000 hours of it's life, before we got it. Injectors and rebuild the tension cylinders were the only repairs required up to 9300 hours. My dad is still running the tractor. My highest hour tractor has 10,500 hours, and has had the same repairs, as well as new bearings in the front idlers, new seals on the drive axles, new bogies, and new pivot pins on the bogies.

Switching the hitch from a direct mount back to regular drawbar is not that bad, couple hours at most. It's hardest on a Challenger since you remove the hitch assembly and replace it with a plate, all other tractors just get a drawbar swap. I would stay away from CaseIH tractors for a scraper application as the transmissions are not tough enough to last long term. The newer MT model Cats are ok, but not nearly as troublefree as the old flat tracks.

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
An advantage that doesn't get covered for each type.

Tractor is considered an instrument of husbandry and the rules for silt fence and dust often treat anything "tractor" as kryptonite.

Motor scraper has better compaction.

ShaneK

Considering resale value, and smaller up-front cost, i'd recommend a pull pan scraper.
You can split up the scraper from the tractor unit for selling each unit separately for more versatility. With the motor scraper, it is a one-trick pony that depreciates fast.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will set this here to chew on. Local Clay pit operator had swapped from Motor Pans to Deere Tractors and Drag Pans, at the end of seven years he is SELLING all the Deere's and Drags, been buying used CAT Motor Scrapers and trucking them in. More Capacity, longer service life, NO DEF or Tier 2,3,4 equipment was his reasoning.