• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

You might make it to lunch if you don't have high winds
Came out okay, it was Friday so the ironworkers were primed to go home before it even started sprinkling. We got done what we needed to, and back to town at a decent time.

Been working on a high school new gym. 140' clear span, built two of the bays on the floor and tandem picked them onto the columns. Each bay with the purlins was right at 24,000lbs. Rafters were over 10,000lbs each plus the purlin weight.

I had the easy side, the other side has a ditch and that crane had to be further away from the building.

I was in my liebherr 100 ton and one of my guys was in the link belt 8690 on the other side. IMG_3849.JPGIMG_3844.JPGIMG_3852.JPGIMG_3860.JPG

crane operator

In a tight spot with jib on the galion. The A- frame jib is a pain to put on.

Had to go in a yard to take down a tree with the 100 ton, and I struck "black gold" like the beverly hillbilly's, only mine wasn't oil, it was sewer. We had put down our mats, but it didn't help much.

They had a valve access vertical pvc buried 3" under the grass, and it wasn't supported, with enough cut out to clear the pipe. So it nicely speared the sewer line from the house to the main trunk, and since we were at the bottom of the hill in a housing development, we were getting great head pressure from the rest of the system. It was all bubbling right out of the ground.

Had a local guy bring down the hydrovac and a mini, and its all fixed, but the old lady that owns the house wasn't happy. But we moved to her driveway and got the trees down.

IMG_3801.JPGIMG_3803.JPGIMG_3814.JPGIMG_3815.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Had a local guy bring down the hydrovac and a mini, and its all fixed, but the old lady that owns the house wasn't happy. But we moved to her driveway and got the trees down.

Thank you for reinforcing the reason why we don't do much if any residential/home owner work.

AzIron

We do a lot of commercial it can spoil the guys so we take on certain residential stuff as a filler and it keeps guys on there toes about how nice heavy commercial is even with the stupid rules plus it sharpens skills a little with variety and forces them to think

crane operator

Had to go rescue this lift. they drove it down the aisle painting the ceiling, and drove it onto the aluminum grate that covers the HVAC duct. Punched right through. Dropping the drive wheels 3" down into the duct.

A couple toe jacks and some aluminum pads, and two guys bouncing in the lift scoped totally out over the opposite side, and we had it out. IMG_3855.JPGIMG_3856.JPG

crane operator

Picked up a second link belt 8640. This one is a year newer than our other one. The upper side door glass didn't make it here on the truck, it fell off somewhere in arizona, new mexico, oklahoma, or kansas. So if someone here hit it on the road- sorry.

The upholstery in the cabs is all falling off, steering box leaking, 1/2 the jakes don't work, and the engine fan doesn't come on by temp (manual control works). Missing a battery box cover and engine compartment access door.

Two drive tires need to come off and we're going to go ahead and replace suspension bushings that we fought on the other one.

Main structure of the crane looks pretty good, but we'll see what its like when we get to running it. It came out of California originally.

A little help on my latest tool acquisition- I think this is for adjusting injectors on a cummins- but I'm missing the sockets.

Any help for what I need for sockets would be appreciated- the tip is 1/4" drive and the outer socket drive is 3/8". And yes I shouldn't be playing with things I don't understand, but I have the feeling I can always learn. I picked it up at the pawn shop for $40.00, so I'm not out a lot of $$$.

1685145820736.jpeg1685146269597.jpeg1685146284886.jpeg1685146323109.jpeg

crane operator

New tool box to go with a new shop. We've rented a building a hour north of our home base. We've averaged around a job or two a week there for the last 9 months, and I'm sick of beating my cranes up and down the road. Our work there has come from customers from my other location, "hey- can you come up here and do X, Y, Z?"

I'm really just trying to spread some risk around. If things get slow, its a bigger market for work.

We've rented a 60' x 60' building with about a 1/2 acre gravel lot beside it, on a dead end street in a industrial park. Room for two cranes inside, and can fit truck and lowboy and 4-5 other pieces of equipment outdoors in the lot. I'm planning on putting a couple cranes there, and have been getting started on what we need up there for stuff. I don't need much of a excuse for tool shopping.

We had a big steel bench and a vise, I just got a used tool box, and we've got a welder and air compressor, and a outdoor fuel tank. Dropped a too low cable/ telephone line that ran across the gravel lot, and got a security system.

We've mainly just used it as a parking lot so far, one of my guys lives closer to there than our other shop, so he's fired up to not have to drive as far to work. We've been leaving a pickup there, so when we park stuff there we don't have to go pick anyone up.

New toolbox was a $1,800 score off a local retired guy. Its a 72" x29" snap on. I'd hate to think what one costs new, and its heavy. I don't want to roll it very far empty.

I have dreams that the new shop will be super clean, everything in its place, and no junk lying around, and then eventually it will force me into doing the same to my current shop.....

1685147242259.jpeg1685147415579.jpeg

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Always nice to start with a blank canvas so you can correct all the annoyances in the shop. I’m still fighting a couple of things that were build before my time that I never had the time or money to rip out. Cam

skyking1

I bet the tree customer did not like the two crane price. Funny how murphy operates.
As to the new tool?
yes you got it bad :D
I look around and find you the nearest toolanon meeting.

crane operator

I bet the tree customer did not like the two crane price.
They are a huge resort, and money/ price is never a object there. The same guy who owns cabela's and basspro owns the resort, and has a house just down the road. Everything is top notch there.

They didn't want to cut the tree down, because the owner didn't want it cut down, but it just became too unsafe. They basically built all the buildings around that tree, covering up its root system, and killed the tree.

RocketScott

Nice shop. Makes a lot of sense just to keep the cranes where the work is

A little help on my latest tool acquisition- I think this is for adjusting injectors on a cummins- but I'm missing the sockets.

Any help for what I need for sockets would be appreciated- the tip is 1/4" drive and the outer socket drive is 3/8". And yes I shouldn't be playing with things I don't understand, but I have the feeling I can always learn. I picked it up at the pawn shop for $40.00, so I'm not out a lot of $$$.

That's for tightening valve and injector tappets. The 1/4 drive is a flat head bit. The outer is 1/2" drive and just a standard 12 point deep socket for whatever size the lock nut is

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/Torque-Adaptor-Set/675480

crane operator

Ouch- that's a $350 tool from the snap on man.

So basically you can hold the flat head adjuster with the inner, while tightening down the lock nut with the outer socket. I shouldn't be messing with any engine components.....

Last edited:

skyking1

That's a sweet new shop. I've seen crane yards come and go around here and it seems to be about where the work is. The Mobe is such a big part of getting the work done. having a closer place to do repairs under a roof will be nice.