• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco K903A

Old Growth

Im looking at an old Kobelco K903A excavator. Its about 16,000 lbs and has 5000 hours on it.
It looks to be decently cared for and not abused. Its hardly been used in the last 10years. The current owner is in his mid eighties and used to own a landscape bizz and used it for setting rocks/building rock walls.

Does anyone have any advice on things to look for/look out for? Maybe what kinda age/mfg year? etc

We have two other excavators (a 40 and a 160) so I kinda know the basics, but anything model/brand specific would be great. Ive never had any Kobelco machines.

Old Growth

Couple pics

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpeg
    IMG_0341.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10

Welder Dave

I'd see if there was a Kobelco dealer within a reasonable distance. If you can't get parts, it doesn't matter how good the price is. Something specific to a Kobelco breaks and you can't get a replacement, you have a big lawn ornament.

Old Growth

I'd see if there was a Kobelco dealer within a reasonable distance. If you can't get parts, it doesn't matter how good the price is. Something specific to a Kobelco breaks and you can't get a replacement, you have a big lawn ornament.
My Hitachi 40 is a gray market mini. We replaced the engine with a US model Isuzu since we could not source parts for the original engine. The rest of it so far has been able to be sourced with a mix of Hitachi and JD parts.

Thats why I posted here. It sounds like there is a comparable US model. So Im just looking for others that have experience with the same machine or own one and would love to hear their experiences.

Welder Dave

I don't think Kobelco's like it are very popular in N. America but have you tried to contact a Kobelco dealer?

excavator

Feenaughty Equipment in Portland has been a dealer for years, Farmers Equipment in Lynden & Burlington has been a good company to deal with. Years ago I had a customer with an SK03 which is the grey market version of the 903 and I was able to get most parts although if I remember correctly the undercarriage, especially rails were no longer available and were an odd pitch. If I dig for abit I will likely have a parts manual which would make ordering parts much better, I'm not sure if they have an online parts manual anymore.

Old Growth

Feenaughty Equipment in Portland has been a dealer for years, Farmers Equipment in Lynden & Burlington has been a good company to deal with. Years ago I had a customer with an SK03 which is the grey market version of the 903 and I was able to get most parts although if I remember correctly the undercarriage, especially rails were no longer available and were an odd pitch. If I dig for abit I will likely have a parts manual which would make ordering parts much better, I'm not sure if they have an online parts manual anymore.
Ok, so do you know if the 903 is the us model then if the 03 is the grey market?