• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D65S with tip bucket for "free"

etd66ss

I have the opportunity to get this Komatsu D65S for whatever it costs me to get it running, moving and delivered to my place about 20 miles.

20230422_105933.jpg

20230422_104518.jpg
20230422_104705.jpg
20230422_104503.jpg

Can anyone tell me what year this machine is? I know nothing about Komatsu's.

The UC looks to be very tired. The straight exhaust pipe was not covered for who knows how many years. (supposedly this thing ran 4 years ago).

The trans dipstick had no oil on it.

The shift lever would not move into any gear, not sure if it needs to be running for that, torque converter?

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Looks like they made them between 1979 - 1984. Transmission should be checked with machine running in neutral for accurate reading. The shift leaver linkage is probably seized up. There are a bunch of grease fittings that don't get greased because its a pain to take off the floor plates and do it. Might want to pull injectors or glow plugs and try and turn motor over by hand to make sure things are moving freely. If you have a 3/4" drive breaker bar check the final drive oil levels. They are on the back of the machine next to tracks.

Shimmy1

I have the opportunity to get this Komatsu D65S for whatever it costs me to get it running, moving and delivered to my place about 20 miles.

View attachment 284455

View attachment 284457
View attachment 284458
View attachment 284459

Can anyone tell me what year this machine is? I know nothing about Komatsu's.

The UC looks to be very tired. The straight exhaust pipe was not covered for who knows how many years. (supposedly this thing ran 4 years ago).

The trans dipstick had no oil on it.

The shift lever would not move into any gear, not sure if it needs to be running for that, torque converter?
I'd bet the rails still have a little life, those sprockets don't look too terrible. But, then again, they may have put new segments on to keep it going a bit longer. Linkage sounds stuck, might be fun to get that loose. I'd put a couple batteries in it and see if it rolls, after putting a wrench on the crank and backing it up a bit.

etd66ss

I'd bet the rails still have a little life, those sprockets don't look too terrible. But, then again, they may have put new segments on to keep it going a bit longer. Linkage sounds stuck, might be fun to get that loose. I'd put a couple batteries in it and see if it rolls, after putting a wrench on the crank and backing it up a bit.
I checked the bushings, quite a lot of wear from both forward and backward travel, and the idlers seem to be all the way forward so look like pins are quite worn. But for me, it would last many years like that.

I tried to flip up the seat as there were batteries under it but the could not budge the seat. Not sure if the hinge is rusted solid or there is a latch. There was a lever sticking out the front of the seat that it felt like the other end was attached to a cable but it was just flopping all around.

Really hard to work on with that loader arm, will try to turn the crank next time I go look at it.

Welder Dave

I thought my 931B was kind of difficult to work on with the loader arms down but that Komatsu looks like it would be a real PIA if you had to get at the engine to get it going.

etd66ss

I thought my 931B was kind of difficult to work on with the loader arms down but that Komatsu looks like it would be a real PIA if you had to get at the engine to get it going.
I can't even reach in with one arm to try to manually turn the engine. I tried turing the fan but the belts just slipped on the crank pulley. Next time I am there I'm going to tighten the crap out of the belts and try again. The machine is sunk far enough into the ground I can't crawl under it let alone have enough space to remove a belly pan to access the crank bolt.

Welder Dave

Would be nice if you could get another loader or even a picker truck to lift the loader arms up. Just put the lift control in float and then chain it up or use some supports like angle iron on the cylinders.

skyking1

that's what I was thinking. Float the valve and lift it up out of the way, and strap an angle iron to one of the cylinders. Crawler loaders are a PITA if they are not running.

etd66ss

Would be nice if you could get another loader or even a picker truck to lift the loader arms up. Just put the lift control in float and then chain it up or use some supports like angle iron on the cylinders.
At the same lot I am also looking to get this Hitachi UH122

Maybe I try to get that running first and use it to aid in the D65S-6 recovery.

Welder Dave

Might be a good plan. A UH122 was a very good machine in its day. One of the machines that helped establish Hitachi as the cream of the crop in excavators at the time. I remember an ad from back then that said 1 out of every 4 excavators sold was an Hitachi.

etd66ss

OK, since I got the UH122 running, I wanted to see if I could get t he Komatsu to turn over. The giant key ring I bought failed me again.

This key went in the cylinder without a fight, but would not turn:

20230521_152243.jpg

There is a Komatsu dealer not to far from where the machine. Is Komatsu like CAT where all the machines used the same key?

etd66ss

I found a key on that keychain I bought, and the got the D65S-6 fired up: D65S-6 Start

A giant nest of some kind came flying out the exhaust stack. I could smell burning, like leaves etc while I was running the engine, still might be a nest down inside the exhaust manifold.

I operated the loading and bucket, but did not put it in gear as I don't see any trans oil on the dipstick. However, after it ran I checked the dipstick again and there was oil quite a ways up on the stick.

Is the trans supposed to be checked with the machine running?

Welder Dave

Not sure on that machine but it is common to check with the machine running and the oil warmed up.

etd66ss

Not sure on that machine but it is common to check with the machine running and the oil warmed up.
What I don't like is the dipstick is totally dry when not running. iirc my D6C has marks for both cold not running and warmed up idling. I assume this trans takes TO-4 oil, I don't have any of that lying around. I'll find a longer dipstick to try and find out how low the trans oil is before I go any further on this machine.

Welder Dave

I'd use the fluid Komatsu recommends which may or may not be TO-4 spec. You really need a manual. Some trans. the oil shows over full with engine off but others may not show on the dipstick. A longer dipstick isn't a bad idea.

etd66ss

I'd use the fluid Komatsu recommends which may or may not be TO-4 spec. You really need a manual. Some trans. the oil shows over full with engine off but others may not show on the dipstick. A longer dipstick isn't a bad idea.
It's tough to spend money on manuals for machines I don't own (yet) lol.

I'll do some Googling first.

Welder Dave

Have you talked to a Komatsu dealer? You're going into to these old left for dead machines like a blind man trying to drive. Try to find out at least a little bit about them and how they operate before just jumping in guessing and hoping for the best