• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota D1105 problem solving black smoke

robdean

I have an 08 kubota D1105 Generator. I just got it and it was unknown the condition it sat for a long time since it was not needed.

It would not start so i found the injector pump was stuck and it had no fuel going to the injectors. I took it apart and fixed it.

I got it to start but it blew a lot of thick black smoke and when turned off seemed like it did not want to stop just slowly wound down until i forced it by covering the intake.

I pulled the 3 glow plugs. 2 where clean and the same. One was really black with build-up. I am guessing this is why it was left alone but i do not know.

So i pulled the fuel line from that injector to see what it would do. It ran with almost no smoke. I turned it off and it stopped just as i thought it should. No longer a slow stop.

This makes me believe i have a leaking injector in that cylinder. Anything else i should check? Any way to test the injector? Would you do a compression check cold to make sure it is worth the money to repair at this time? What thread and size is the glow plug? How much compression cold should i expect if you think i should test it?

Could it be something i did in the injector pump when i repaired it?

Any thought?

robdean

Inj pump assembled incorrectly.. u have the gear segment off a tooth..
I did not mess with any gears. Its driven by lobs on a shaft and the injector pump comes off separately. Unless i am not understanding what you are try to say. Sorry if i am miss what you are saying by gears are off.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I’ll say this slow..
U took the pump apart..
Inside the pump under the plunger return springs are gear segments.. u have that gear off a tooth or two..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Dude.!!! Seriously.??!!!
If u can’t figure it out AFTER being in the pump.. excellent instructions BY ME AND a parts breakdown of the pump.. u got problems..

robdean

Does any one know what part number on that pic he is referring to? I would not be asking if i knew what you were talking about. Thats why i posted the pic. I dont see a gear so maybe what you call a gear is different then what i think it is.

robdean

Thank you, i will double check that i dont have it 180 off. (i was looking for a gear) but it can be 180 out. Since it feeds fuel when the fuel shut off is in run mode and does not flow when its off i am guessing its right. But i will double check. Thanks you.

I did a pop test on the injector for that cylinder and it goes off at about 2k. And i dont see any dripping. I just did a valve adjustment and nothing was off so i hope you are correct. My only other conclusion is oil past the pistons and that would be a lot of house as bad as it was smoking.

Last edited:

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Since it feeds fuel when the fuel shut off is in run mode and does not flow when its off i am guessing its right. But i will double check.
It does sound like you have something off in the IP from your earlier post if it's still feeding fuel to one cylinder after shutdown. The fuel cutoff is at the pump, so it wouldn't be an injector leaking if the IP is operating correctly.

robdean

It does sound like you have something off in the IP from your earlier post if it's still feeding fuel to one cylinder after shutdown. The fuel cutoff is at the pump, so it wouldn't be an injector leaking if the IP is operating correctly.
I will recheck it. I hope it is an injector pump. It would be worse if it was feeding oil from the rings and burning it. I will be taking it apart again to check.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your own detailed troubleshooting in post #1 says it is one of the pumps clocked higher than the other two and is not pulling down to zero when the rack goes all the way down.
This might help you understand. It is a section view of an FIP that operates somewhat similar to yours.
Ref #8 is the rack, the "quadrant" inside the red square has teeth on it, but not all the way round. If it was installed just one tooth off (not 180 degrees off as you seem to think) where it should be in order to be "timed" correctly it would produce the exact symptoms you are describing. This is what Birken is describing when he said "one of the pumps clocked higher than the other two".

1680486205175.png

robdean

At 34 min in this video is my plunger and what is twisted to control the fuel flow. That was the reason i was saying 180 there is only 2 options to install it back or forward. The the round nipple at 43 moves is using the shape of the plunger vs a gear. I think that is what has me confused. The way i look at it its is right or backwards 180.

But i am going to look into it more. Thanks for the continued help.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
the plunger is NOT installed 180* out..
The gear is 1 tooth off.!!
And only accessible from the bottom (remove the roller)
A flashlight is your best friend..

Bluox

There are a couple of guys on here who need a flashlite but it's not the fella working on this pump.
Bad Bob

Cmark

There's been some confusion about the build of your pump. If it's the same as the one in the video, it doesn't have a rack and segment as was being discussed earlier, but the fundamental problem appears to be the same.
In your video at 49:30, see how he's lining the pegs up with the cutouts in the rack? You either have this wrong or you have a plunger 180° out, time ref 34:00.