• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Laptop Advice

barklee

Make sure you really like that Windows 8 or make sure you can bring it back if you dont like it.
I gave it a try, and it really makes no sence to me at all...IMO windows 7 Is they way to go.

If you want a good laptop well made and one that works very well for the money...Look at the Sonys.

We just got a new machine and its installed with Windows 8. It is horrible!!! Completely different than 7. There is going to be quite the learning curve with this new machine if it has 8 installed. I would agree with the Mac..... if you have a deep check book. I have run Dells for the last 12 years and have had excellent luck. I would recommend one to anyone. If you call Dell they will preload the machine to suit your needs or with any option you like, i know its a bit more expensive but then everything is integrated right from the manufacturer. :D

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The new laptop arrived and it's working out pretty well. Windows 8 has an option to make it look and operate like the standard Windows program so I'm doing ok. I'll eventually figure out the new version.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Good grief, I'm still trying to figure out Windows 7, please don't make me jump to 8 just yet. :D

Good to hear you got a new puter Steve. ;)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I know this thread is old but I am still using XP,I have one with Vista on it but all my other PCs have either XP pro or the oem copies of xp on them.I have worked on the 7 and 8 machines,it just takes while to figure them out.I won't be buying anything newer for a while yet:))
Ron G

NorthernWild

In the business world, most went XP -> 7 (skipped Vista, which was pretty well the beta version of 7) and now are likely going to go from 7 -> 10 (again, skipping 8 as basically a beta version of 10). I'm quite happy with 7, and was very unimpressed with Vista when I was helping out grandparents with their computer. Haven't tried 10 yet, and saw no reason to try 8. Company still puts Windows 7 Pro on everything.