• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liability Insurance

Electra_Glide

Well, lost my first bid...:mad:

It was a rather large backfilling job with the installation of about 300' of downspout conductors and another 300' of pipe for the outfall. I helped my buddy do the initial site work, but he wasn't interested in the backfilling. Pictures of our work are here:

http://mtolivechurch.net/future.htm

My bid was the 2nd lowest, but the guy who got the job bid a ridiculously low number (underbid me by half). Don't know how he's doing it and not losing his shirt, but that's not really my problem. The good news is that I was 2nd lowest, and beat three other guys.

I'm now kind of glad I didn't get the job because securing my liability insurance is turning out to be more of a chore than I thought. Talked to my agent who handles all of my personal stuff (auto, home, etc.) and he was ready to write my policy, but when I called him back to do the deed, he told me that the company (State Farm) wasn't going to write any new liability policies for excavators in PA. He says that they have had a few large claims and are not sure they want to continue offering these policies in PA. This guy's a friend of mine, so I have no reason to believe he's BSing me.

I've got a few more leads I'm tracking down, but nothing yet. Once I mention the word "excavation" the insurance guys seem to get a bit nervous. Since I'm basically looking to set up a "light" excavation business (skid-ster and compact excavator) I'm thinking about pitching it more as a "landscaping" business to see if it gets me any further. I'm trying to figure out if this is a viable option or if it leaves me open to potential problems in the future.

Putting my name out there without insurance is not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You may find more success in landing landscape insurance. That's thew business I'm in and I'm covered for excavation work as well. I had no trouble getting it and the premium was less than I expected.

BRL

Just make sure you are covered for what you are doing. I am a landscaper & have coverage for excavation, but I don't think I'd be covered for excavating for gas or sewer lines (never checked though, so may not be a problem?) If you do go the landscaping route, find the PA Farm Burea or equivalent. They have an insurance program that also allows "landscapers" and it is good coverage & service for a lower price than the other quotes you will see. Good luck!

Electra_Glide

Well, looks like I'll be OK...

I have an application in my hand for my insurance as a grading and excavation contractor. Just need to fill it out and send them the first year's premium, and I'm all set.

1 issue resolved 74673986 to go...:)

Joe

BRL

Yep, that's the indication of just how difficult it is to secure insurance coverage these days, the whole year's premium is now the EASY part. :( :Banghead

PSDF350

you think it's hard to find insurance for excuvation. you should try and find it for logging not cheap.