• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lift pump on 540B skidder

TMTS

Occupation
logger, forestry mowing
is there a good way to test if your fuel lift pump is working? I have the glass filter off, and I'm pumping away on the hand lever- I can hear it trying to pump- air pushing through, but no fuel...since it just got cold here, it may be I have something frozen in the lines toward the fuel tank...

also- is there an aftermarket supplier of these pumps...

-TMTS

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Not overly familiar with the 540s but the 610s wont hand prime if any of the filters or water seperator is dry.

basecamp

TMTS,

First, hit the statrter to move the engine over. A lot of those JD pumps won't pump much of anything if the cam is up against the lever.

Second, take off the suction side and put your finger over it (a back woods logger trick; you should probably use a vaccuum gauge), to see if it has suction.

Third, take off the fuel cap and blow a shot of air back into the supply line. listen for bubbles in the tank. The screen in the tank may be plugged.

If these simple diagnostics don't reval anything, buy a new transfer pump. I found that they go bad without correlation to time in service. Also, they are cheap and easy to replace.

Good luck,
Jim