• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lightning strike protection

cw4Bray

It seems like the lights go out every storm. MDU does NOT get my vote for lightning strike protection expert. It looks like they've grounded one of the three phases, which is fine no problem - but how does that really protect against lightning strikes between phases ? From the photo, I see a big cost in insulators, wouldn't be more cost effective to run a neutral ground above all three phases ? Seems like I'm always in the dark. Does the power company know that there's 1.21 gigawatts (GW) of power in a lightning bolt from back to the future ? If that current from the (second phase) goes to ground near the substation, how does that effect the secondary of the transformer, assuming the strike is near the substation ? And if the conductor can't handle the power and vaporizes the wire or converts solid metal to plasma, between poles how does that keep my fridge running ?
Screenshot 2023-05-18 11.58.00.pngScreenshot 2023-05-18 11.58.41.png

Last edited:

cw4Bray

Thanks,
I can tell you it's not very arresting !! It doesn't work... Maybe it was made overseas by the lowest bidder ? Maybe the other two phases should have surge protectors also ? Not to repeat myself but, a static line over and above the transmission line might work better.