• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Local 825 apprenticeship

Trucker845

I just received the offer to be accepted into local 825s apprenticeship can someone give me insite of what to expect ive been in trucking for many years and this is a new field for me. Do I get paid for this training, am I going to sign on an be out of work right away? Is there alot of work lined up for year 2023 thanks for any imput

skyking1

I have no info for your local. I suspect there are large infrastructure projects based on what I saw when I drove through.
I do know that if there is work, the bigger employers want apprentices to meet quotas, and you will be busy. You make a percentage of the journeyman wage and it goes up each year you are in.
This is an old agreement booklet from 2016. There have been two contracts since this one and the wages look to be similar to ours here in 612.
https://mps.iuoe825.org/admin/efiles/RTX10879.pdf
You start out at 60%, reaching 90% by your 4th year.
If you can get by on ~$30 an hour and good medical and pension to start, go for it. That is about what you are looking at more or less. They will tell you up front.

Tinkerer

An appointment with the Apprenticeship Coordinator will give all the information you need.
Or, if you know an apprentice that is in the program he/ she would most likely tell you.
Generally contractors welcome apprentice's because they work for reduced wages compared to journeymen.

Heavyonit

I just received the offer to be accepted into local 825s apprenticeship can someone give me insite of what to expect ive been in trucking for many years and this is a new field for me. Do I get paid for this training, am I going to sign on an be out of work right away? Is there alot of work lined up for year 2023 thanks for any imput
You start April 1st? Just got my acceptance a few days ago

Heavyonit

I have a friend who’s currently an 825 apprentice. According to them, it’s 6 weeks of training down in Dayton . 1 week osha / 1 week hazmat, then the remaining 4 works are spent familiarizing yourself with basic equipment, hoe/dozer/ etc.

I don’t believe it’s paid but apparently you can claim unemployment and also receive a stipend for travel.

I’m actually a locomotive engineer trainee with NJ transit so it’s going to be a pay cut for 6 weeks but it’ll be worth it in the end.

Take it with a grain of salt it’s just what I was told by a current apprentice

skyking1

The train job is also a good one, but really apples and oranges. If you like to get out and do different things, then the operating engineers is better by far.

Heavyonit

The train job is also a good one, but really apples and oranges. If you like to get out and do different things, then the operating engineers is better by far.
Yes, I agree, I realize I’m blessed to be able to receive so many opportunities.

ive carefully weighed the pros and con and Operating Engineers is best for me and my family.

Any advice for a someone just joining the trade?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing and learning from professionals like yourself and others on here.

skyking1

Get your CDL as soon as you can through the school, if at all possible.
Keep going back and getting licenses.
For example, I ran boom trucks before NCCCO was formed. I worked a few jobs here and there, and then it was adopted as the standard for training, around 2000.
Since I was plenty busy working the dirt I forgot about it, then in 2016 I went back and got every crane certificate I could.
I took some gigs on both the water and the land and had a good time with it.
Keep an open mind. Run everything they offer to put you on.
Don't bitch about spending a day on the roller, for example. Dirt needs compacted. It is as important as any job and can be done well or half arsed. Do it all as best you can.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Like skyking1 says CDL is a plus!,our apprenticeship requires that ,Spend a lot of time at your training site, if you have one,run everything there you can,always update you’re card with new equipmen.IUOE is going to be a great career pat!